Blow torch for annealing?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi3OoeYUPec]Annealing the Cheap Way - YouTube[/ame]

Check out this videio My set up is like this.

I use a normal candle instead of a torch. John Barsness described the method in an article and I think it is in one of his books. I copied this from a post he made on another forum:

"I use a method perfected by my friend Fred Barker, who writes for some gun magazines, including Precion Shooting. Fred found that the normal annealing methods used for years made the necks too soft, as they normally involved heating the brass to red-hot then quenching in water.
Fred is a retired metallurgist and developed the following:
1) Light a standard wax candle.
2) Hold the case halfway up the body with the tips of your fingers.
3) Heat the neck in the tip of the candle flame until the case is too hot to hold.
4) Wipe the front end of the ecase with a wet towel (paper towel will do) which finishes the annealing process AND cleans off the candle-flame soot."

I use this method because using a torch was too aggressive on my .44 mag and .500 smith cases. The bullets would jump the crimp after torch annealing. Since then all my rifle and pistol cases get this treatment every third firing.

Just another method.

Jeremy

I use the Bernzomatic torch that I've had for 100 years (exaggeration). Like metioned above - Walmart or Lowes.

If brass is getting too hot during annealing it's the operators fault, not the torches fault. I use a socket on an extension to hold the brass and rotate it by hand and count for exposure time. It's really easy to do. No value at all in water quenching unless your have really dirty brass.

I use the same method as Wapati...except I use a Kerosene or Paraffin hurricane lamp with the glass chimney removed. I determine the time to hold the case in the flame as he described: Hold the case mid way and rotate and COUNT until it is too hot to hold. Then quench in a damp towel. Then hold subsequent cases at the base and COUNT to determined number, then quench. No since in burning your fingers on more than 1 case. My fingers are barely warmed holding the base. Typically on 300wm or 30-06 cases I count to 15. Anyway, its cheap, fast, simple and allows me to reload 300wm Remington Cases 10 times before the head begins to seperate note: The annealing prevented the neck from splitting.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.