Annealing for hunting

There is no scenario where softer brass provides higher tension.
Harder brass ALWAYS provides higher tension potential.
As far as I'm aware, this holds with ANY metal or material otherwise.

A misunderstanding that resides in this community like a virus, is a notion that interference fit and/or friction directly correlate with hoop tension.
That is false. They are each separate and different.
What grips bullets is spring back force per area applied. And this would be expressed in PSI,, not inches, not friction coefficient, and not the cost of your annealing machine.

Don't let merchandising fool you. Test each for yourself.
Increase friction of a neck, shoot it across a chrono, observe no change in MV
Change interference for a sized length no more than seated bearing, see very little to no change in MV.
Now adjust that sizing length, to alter actual tension (with area applied), and see MV follow directly.

If you establish the same interference, for the same sized length, work hardened brass will produce higher MV than fully annealed brass.
It's bullet grip is higher.
This is because the broken grain structure of work hardened brass resists dimension changes, whereas the grain structure of fully annealed brass allows dimension changes with less tension applied.

So I used to shoot so much more than I do now……sad I know, but life, costs, availability, other hobbies and what-not take a toll. Looking to shed a few things and instead of just lurking on here I need to get my post count up so I can log some items in the classified. Now that I am not shooting 100-200 rounds a week/month and have my hunting loads with round counts in the 50-100 loaded and ready, my AMP is just not getting the use. So here it is….what are people's thoughts on annealing for hunting loads
Howdy Outdoorguy

You start thinking about not Annealing anymore, let me know. I would buy it from you. Thanks

I never annealed anything for 30+ years and only ever had 223 surplus brass split necks after 4-5 loads. I fell for the anneal thing (annealeze), tried it, still have it, don't see any change except for 223. Just randomly I will use it, when I'm running a bunch of bulk 223 brass.
I just reload in real simple basic process. This is the last one I finished up late last summer (300WM). It will shoot this all day long with two different powders several powder weights and same bullet. Nope have not annealed the brass at all, and these groups were at 4-5 firings and bumped 2K. Yeah the one had a flier, the other two are two different powders, with the 3rd being a verification load.

Attachments

• IMG_E2891.JPG
    IMG_E2891.JPG
    331.6 KB · Views: 24
Take a couple cases and fire them 4 or 5 x without annealing and see what you ES is then plug those 2 velocities in to a ballistic calculator and see if the 2 impacts are within minute of elk or whatever you are hunting at your maximum range. If that is acceptable sell your AMP.
Or I will AMP your brass if you pay shipping and send the pilot.
Or start shooting more !