Angled or straight spotter?

Will83

I've heard an angled spotters can be annoying to pack when mountain hunting, but are useful at the range a bit more. Is this true about being a bit of a pain to pack in say a kuiu pro lt 5500 on the side pocket? Or am I overthinking it?

While I have never owned an angled spotting scope I did spot for a friend on his hunt a few years back and I have to say his angled spotter is much easier to use when spotting for hours on end.You are low enough to the ground that we were unseen by elk and way more comfortable.
I feel there is a place for both.
At the range the straight works best but when spotting for hours the angled is more comfortable.
Just my opinion

I've heard an angled spotters can be annoying to pack when mountain hunting, but are useful at the range a bit more. Is this true about being a bit of a pain to pack in say a kuiu pro lt 5500 on the side pocket? Or am I overthinking it?
Search is your friend. Dozens of threads will cover every bit of spotting scopes and choices with them.

I could not afford a spotting scope until six or seven years ago. When I purchased my spotting scope I thought the angled ocular eyepiece was the "cool" way to go. Now after trying to use it in the field and the shooting bench, my opinion, what a waste of money. It is hard to set up to look through and awkward to get on the target. I haven't tried to put in my backpack because it is such PITA to set up. If I ever get up enough money to purchase another spotting scope it will doggone sure be a straight eyepiece!

I use a straight spotter mounted on a bar with rangefinder on a tripod. This way, find an animal in scope and easily switch to rangefinder that is already pointed at the animal.

My angled spotter fits fine in my Kuiu packs, both the 3600 and 6000.
It is a 60 mm.

I personally like the angled spot scope eye piece. It is comfortable on a tripod to my left, rifle on bench to right, again same position sitting directly on bench for indoor bench shooting or on short pod in prone position. Also find easier to bend neck using tripods standing. Personal preference is objective.

Recent Posts