Ammo Carriers

cdmorten

What are you guys using to carry your hunting ammo? I hate having shells jingling around in my pocket. I used to use a nylon sleeve that went around the stock of my rifle but I now have an A5 stock with a cheek piece so I can't use that any more.

Just wanted to get some ideas.

Corbett

I really like the Blackhawk or Eagle ammo belt carriers they hold 20 rounds. they are designed for 308 but work well up to 338 Edge. You can also fold a drop chart and put it inside so when you open it it falls right in your hand.

I use a fly box with the foam liners that have ridges. It is about 1.5"x3.5"x5" and fits easily into most coat pockets or leg pockets. It keeps your ammo from clanking around, keeps it clean, keeps it concentric, dry, and easily accessible. The ridged foam liners hold about 9 to 12 rounds of Ultra mag ammo depending on the length of the fly box you get.

And best of all, they're cheap. About 5 to 8 bucks at most sports shops.

Corbett:

I don't know what round/s you shoot but for my 338 Lapua based round I use "A couple of these pocket cases from Sinclair". They won't work very well for smaller cases, but for the larger cases they work great. I can open one up, lay it on the ground etc. when shooting and the rounds are always clean and handy.

My sling has holders for 4 rounds and since I hunt a lot with vests or coats of one kind or another, my wife has modified the slip on cuff type holders by cutting them in half, keeping the elastic pouch part, seals the edge with her serger and then she sews them inside one or two of the bigger pockets on the vests or coat. That way they are secure, covered and yet readily available. Loose shells that rattle drive me crazy and I'm also anal about protecting the bullet tips so every round has a nice secure spot somewhere. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I just use the plastic carriers that come in Federal or Remington factory ammo boxes. One piece holds 10 rounds and rides nicely in most pockets.

[ QUOTE ]
I just use the plastic carriers that come in Federal or Remington factory ammo boxes. One piece holds 10 rounds and rides nicely in most pockets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone have any of these for a WSM that they would like to part with? I use them also and love them...but have never bought any WSM factory fodder to get one or two. I'd like to find at least one before I leave for CO in a week. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I tried the Fly box that goodgrouper said and it fit really nice in my wool vest or in my slicker. I highly recommend that. IP

All good ideas. I should have thought of the plastic things in the Remington boxes. I actually just went to walmart and found something similar to the one from Cabelas listed above. It holds 10 rounds and cost $6.50

Thanks for the help.

like posted above, i use the plastic ammo carriers that come in federal boxes. real nice and even kinda form to ur leg holding 10 rounds.

I have a very comfortable belt from cabela's. leather belt with canvas-like material to hold the shells. holds 15-20 (I think)shells very well

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.