Ammo alert 7.62x51 ZSR m80 147 gr ball ammo from battlehawk ammo has blown up 4 guns

Deny import of the weapon, saving people this crap!
Haven't seen this happen yet-- it's been a problem for at least 5 years and UTAS in Turkey is still making them, Hatfield is still importing them, and large chain stores and online retailers are still selling them.

BBB has (F rated business) horrible reviews of Hatfield gun co. now (I bought mine back when they were fairly new and no ratings or reviews were out yet) and as far as I know , nothing has been done

Maybe if an attorney picked it up as a class action, but for a $200 gun its not worth loosing any hair over.

This is WAY beyond a sad state of affairs, it's past due for a TRO against the importer to enjoin any further sales of any of their dangerously bogus products, followed by whatever next appropriate action the "proper authorities" are inclined toward. That might be the ATF, not an outfit I'm offering my two cents worth to ;-)

Is this a terrorist action? Not be quite as far fetched or paranoic a notion as it might seem, imo. Galactic discovered ZSR product, in many popular calibers, from over a dozen and a half online retailers (including some well known ones) and the stuff was 'wall to wall' at a local gun show, according to his report in the video.

This is a situation which appears to me to require Law Enforcement action.

Someone WILL get hurt, these are not minor league blow ups...

Last edited:
Legally- the gun manufactures don't have to do anything If it was an ammo/case failure--- good luck getting a Turkish ammo manufacturer to stand behind their ammo.. the best bet might be to try whoever imported it to the us-- not sure they would do anything either.

I had a cheepo semi auto "hatfield" shotgun sold by Walmart ( and a few others) that was made in Turkey.

It had a major flaw in the gas vent system and it would shatter the wood forend when used with heavy loads or slugs --- multiple times. It was a royal pain trying to get responses or parts for it--- eventually over 16 months I was able to get 2 new handguards but they both shattered too---- the 3rd time the company would no longer respond to my calls or emails.

I'm glad no one has been hurt yet. Hopefully the sellers eventually get enough slack that they offer refunds but i doubt much will come from zsr . Time will tell.

From the few pics I've seen, it looks like the brass case is splitting near the head/base/web and causing the venting of gas.

I wonder if anyone has done any pull downs to check powder weights or section a piece of brass to see how thick it is near the head/web.
the man who posted the video did hear from the licensed importer. They refunded his entire purchase, sent him a prepaid shipping label to send all his remaining ammo back to them, and has made some restitution on his gun. They also announced they have severed ties with ZSR. No one else has lifted a finger, not a single retailer or the manufacturer. It's in one of his videos.

Haven't seen this happen yet-- it's been a problem for at least 5 years and UTAS in Turkey is still making them, Hatfield is still importing them, and large chain stores and online retailers are still selling them.

BBB has (F rated business) horrible reviews of Hatfield gun co. now (I bought mine back when they were fairly new and no ratings or reviews were out yet) and as far as I know , nothing has been done

Maybe if an attorney picked it up as a class action, but for a $200 gun its not worth loosing any hair over.
I understand how hard it is to complain about non US companies. It seems the bbb did have some bad ratings on Hatfield, however this doesn't mention zsr. 🤔 not good! And the crap show goes on......

This is WAY beyond a sad state of affairs, it's past due for a TRO against the importer to enjoin any further sales of any of their dangerously bogus products, followed by whatever next appropriate action the "proper authorities" are inclined toward. That might be the ATF, not an outfit I'm offering my two cents worth to ;-)

Is this a terrorist action? Not be quite as far fetched or paranoic a notion as it might seem, imo. Galactic discovered ZSR product, in many popular calibers, from over a dozen and a half online retailers (including some well known ones) and the stuff was 'wall to wall' at a local gun show, according to his report in the video.

This is a situation which appears to me to require Law Enforcement action.

Someone WILL get hurt, these are not minor league blow ups...
There at gunshots because it's cheap. Shooters take note: buyer beware of this type ammo!

Maybe someone else here has seen this before or has had a similar experience. In 1993-1994 I was enrolled in school in Colorado Springs. Some of my classmates and I used to head up to he mountains on the weekends and do some shooting/target practice. One guy had an SKS and a AK.
He had picked up a 1000 rd case of 7.62x39 somewhere, from what I remember he got it really cheap, I don't remember how much at the time but it was a really good deal.
I can't even remember what I noticed about it at the time but something didn't seem right while we were shooting.
Anyhow, whatever it was made me take a close look a the ammo, I pulled a couple apart and found the cases were loaded with what looked like 15 grains of powder and the projectiles were coated NYLON.
I haven't seen anything like it since. The main reason I will only buy recognizable name brand ammo from reputable retailers/ sellers.

Over the last 3 uears i have seen lots of no name import ammo pop up --- "cheap" compared to name brand--- I have never run any of it as it generally isn't accurate and only good for plinking anyway. Now I have more reason to not buy any

Over the last 3 uears i have seen lots of no name import ammo pop up --- "cheap" compared to name brand--- I have never run any of it as it generally isn't accurate and only good for plinking anyway. Now I have more reason to not buy any
You get what you pay for. People cut corners and crap happens. Buyer beware!

For 308 gp shooting I am a fan of milsurp. I stick to Lake City these days. Had a bunch of Radway Green back in the day. That was pretty good stuff. Heard mixed reports of the IMI. So I haven't risked it or any of the others.

For 308 gp shooting I am a fan of milsurp. I stick to Lake City these days. Had a bunch of Radway Green back in the day. That was pretty good stuff. Heard mixed reports of the IMI. So I haven't risked it or any of the others.
I'm a fan of LC too. Got a ton of IMI. Works OK for plinking. I use the brass for reloads sometimes. 4-7 reloads on average.