• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Allen Precision .338 AX/ 338 Allen Xpress FS

mt_archer

For sale, Kirby Allen/APS 338 Allen Xpress. This is the Xtreme Hunter Series Rifle with following:

• BAT HRPIC receiver (w/integral recoil lug & integral 20 moa base)
  • Bolt has sako style extractor (might be m16, not sure)
  • Lilja #7, 1:10 twist, fluted, finished at 26"
  • McMillan A5 Stock with adjustable cheek piece, two studs in front one in rear
  • APS Painkiller Muzzle Brake
  • Seekins 3.9" detachable magazine
  • Jewell trigger with safety
Scope/rings/level/ACI are NOT INCLUDED.

:D
For those who do not know, the AX is a .338 Lapua improved. You can fire Lapua ammo safely, and when you do, it will fire form the case to the AX. Like most Ackley cartridges, it adds velocity, and should add more barrel life.

:rolleyes:
I will include the custom dies, a fire formed case drilled and tapped for Hornady gauge, 46 pieces of 4x fired brass, 46 pieces of 2x fired brass (fire formed and one full load) that are trimmed, cleaned, prepped and primed, and 100 pieces that were fire formed by APS, that are on third loading (2nd full load). Presently, I have 44 fired and 56 loaded with 300 smk's. That ratio is subject to change depending on if I take it out again. I will need to ship ammo separately at added cost, or pull the bullets/powder and send it all as one lot with rifle. All brass is Lapua head stamp. The 46 that I fire formed, and the100 I had Kirby form, were all the same lot of brass.

gun)

Target in picture is typical of the 100 yard capability of rifle. I have gotten better, virtually one 338 hole for 3 shots, but didn't save them, as I wasn't needing any advertising pics at the time. I've also gotten worse, but those tend to be two cutting each other, and one odd shot a half inch to an inch away, which I am pretty sure was operator error–rifle is light enough that technique matters with that much energy. After playing with the rifle for awhile, I never shot many 100 yard groups. I ended up using a milder load (about 2900 fps with 300 smk) than prior owner, mostly because I wanted brass to last. (I also learned Kirby's wisdom in regard to primers, use 215, not 215M, for some reason, it makes a real difference for that rifle). I have steel plates at my range set up at 1000, 1200, 1320, and 1550 yards. I hit them in order many times. 1000 seemed pretty easy, even in strong winds after awhile.

gun)

I bought this used about a year ago, with a stated round count of 150 from reputable seller. I also had bore checked when I got the rifle, and was told that it looked great, so I am sure the round count was right. It is now at 433, based on brass counting–I could be off a few.

:)

My fish scale says rifle, as pictured, with NF 5.5-22x56, rings, level, and ACI (which are not included) weighs right at 13 pounds, so rifle alone must be close to 11. It is very easy to carry, for its weight, because it is pretty compact for a long range rig.
And I know someone (everyone?) will ask, why are you selling it? I do love the rifle, but a combination of factors lead me to sell this one. It is one of several rifles I have that will all do about the same thing. I have gravitated to my 7mm Dakota for hunting, because it does not need a brake--for my hearing protection and that of my spotter. I have a light weight custom 300 RUM for 95% of the shots I will take at elk. And, after I got the AX, I had a 7mm ultra gone bad that I had turned into a 338 RUM AI, with Lilja bbl, adjustable stock, extended mag, Jewell trigger, etc. . . . basically everything the AX has (albeit, 100 fps slower). So, I should get rid of at least one. Especially since my safes are too full, I cannot get permission for another safe, and I have more projects in the works. Since everyone pretty much knows that anything Kirby built will shoot, this should be easiest one to sell.
lightbulb
Price is $3995, cash or postal money order, plus shipping & insurance (unless you want to do face to face transfer in Great Falls, Montana). I will get it boxed up and a get a quote for you once I know where it is going and if you want insurance. Based on last couple rifles I've done, I expect it to be around $35 for shipping, but insurance costs a lot more. I really do not want to take trades, but would consider good tactical scopes that I might use, or could easily sell later (NF 5.5-22 w/HS and ZS, Vortex Razor, anything of that quality or better).

Attachments

• ax 1.jpg
    ax 1.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 37
  • ax 2.jpg
    ax 2.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 9
  • ax3.jpg
    ax3.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 10
Rifle is sold pending funds. Thanks for all the pm's. I hope I got back to everyone. I was doing so mosly via my phone, and it does not seem 100% reliable using this site. If I missed anyone, I apologize.