All Nice Antelopes on Private Land!

Eaglet

Antelope_1.jpg

My hunting buddy and I had been hunting for four days, it's supposed to be summer and the last two days had been very cold in the mornings. Thanks to both of our wives who insisted for us to bring jackets and stuff like that we did not freeze our backs off! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif We had seen nice bucks on private property and just one real nice on open land that would not let us get any closer to at least within 700 yards. I had been practicing long range shooting and I was confident 700 yards would be no problem. On the forth day, we hadn't seen too many opportunities and were getting a little disillusioned. We were driving down this nice dirt road about 40 MPH and I seen this thing that looks like an Antelope, I thought "That wouldn't be an Antelope".... "Yes it is"... "No..." finally I said: "is that an Antelope?" my hunting partner stops... sure enough, in the middle of the road. I jumped out, grabbed my rifle, ear plugs, while saying give mi a range. We were closer than we realize about 175 yards, I crossed the road to the side the Antelope had moved, he started walking away from us and turned; my Weaver Grand Slam was set on 6 power and the cross hair was moving all over the place... yup, I had been practicing long range but not shooting from standing position. Bang! Missed, Antelope took off, there was a power post about 15 yards and as the Antelope was running away I wanted to get to the power post. He stopped! I stopped! Here we go again, this time worst, I'm really concentrating, and cross hair is really dancing. I'm trying harder... its coming down... down... down.... the cross hair I mean, coming down... Bang! Down he goes about 180 to 200 yards. What an experience! 210 Berger that had been chronographed at 3186 fps from the muzzle, very hot load, went in between the shoulder and the neck breaking all kinds of bones, entrance hole small enough to where I did not find it. I did not try too hard. The bullet did not come out but was found under the skin on the other side. Inside there had been lots of destruction but the jacket and the lead had separated. Death was instantaneous. I don't think I would have been so on an elk at that distance. Did not spend more time taking pictures because the stupid flies were all over eating the little animal... I was going to have nothing left. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I was happy I got my antelope although it is a rather small one. Here in Nevada you can apply once every 5 years and I did not want to go home empty handed. Sorry this story is not about long range shooting but I thought some of you might enjoy and concider practicing standing up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif The Lord is Good!!! I believe that if it had been at 500 yards from the prone position would have been easier for me to conect on the first shot, but it took My Lord's help to do it at 200 or whatever that was from standing position. I'm 350 lbs, when you get that many pounds moving fast, it's a trip to say the least. So I'm giving my creator the glory!

Congratulations. Sometimes antelope can be the dumbest critters on earth. You hunt them hard and can't find them or get a shot and then it gets too easy.

Weird weather everywhere.

Hey,

I have seen that rifle before!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Congrats on the hunt. Sounds like it was an interesting one. Common with pronghorns!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Eaglet:

Great pic and story. Looks like the end result was pretty good no matter what it took to get there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Where was William??? You should have had him there to help out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ss7mm,
William had to stay and go to school because his deer hunt is coming within 2 months and he can't miss that much. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm glad, he probably would have said: "Let him run dad, let him get farther away" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Kirby, Yes! you have seen that rifle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thank you all Gents. for your comments. Good luck to you all on your hunts.

Thanks Eaglet,

I'm going on a Deer hunt to WY in about a week. I havn't been able to get to sleep at night due to the anticipation of hunting I guess. Your picture won't help me any!

That's a great picture, I can almost smell the desert thru my screen.

Keep those pics coming,
Take care,
Vic

Great story. I leave on the 21st for my first WY antelope hunt and I'm also having trouble sleeping. I've been out west on vacation three times but this will be my first western hunt, well, with a gun and not a camera.
I hope to call in a few coyotes while out there and see if I can do a Randy Anderson impersonation /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

GG,
November isn't that far away. Just bring good shoes... just kidding. My hunting partner used these Rocky boots to hunt about 10 years or so and in this particular trip they gave up. In memory of such good boots, I made this montage.

Mans_Shoes.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.