Alamo Precision Rifles, are they any good????

BeaverHunter

I'm wondering if anybody here has any experience with Alamo Precision Rifles? I'm looking at having a semi-custom rifle built by them because of a crazy special they have going on. I've never seen or shot one of their rifles first hand and was hoping some guys on here can speak to their quality and how well they shoot. Looks like they're running their own action?(a 700 clone I think). Don't really need another gun at the moment but am very tempted because of a special they're running. Any first hand experience?

I live close to them and they have built several for me on various actions.

The worst of them shot groups in the .3's and the best shoots groups in the .0's.

Their fit and finish is great too, as well as their customer service.

Good luck with your decision!

That deal they have going on right now for the carbon build is an exceptional deal - just look around at similar builds by other smiths

I live close to them and they have built several for me on various actions.

The worst of them shot groups in the .3's and the best shoots groups in the .0's.

Their fit and finish is great too, as well as their customer service.

Good luck with your decision!

That deal they have going on right now for the carbon build is an exceptional deal - just look around at similar builds by other smiths

That's the build I'm looking at. Seems almost too good to be true with the proof carbon barrel for less than $2500

I have one. It's a nice rifle. They jerked me around on the delivery! A couple weeks run into months and always someone else's fault? I'm glad I have it now but I'm in no rush to order another.

Yah that sucks but I bet your total wait time would be similar to any other major custom builder if you didn't supply the parts - but I get your frustration, not fun to be told a time frame and it keep getting extended

Last edited:
I have one. It's a nice rifle. They jerked me around on the delivery! A couple weeks run into months and always someone else's fault? I'm glad I have it now but I'm in no rush to order another.
I've read a little bit about some guys having trouble getting them when they were promised, but truthfully I'm not in any hurry for mine(plus it would give me a little more time to hide the purchase from my wife lol). How's it shoot? Fit and finish in line with what you paid for? Thanks for the reply!

I've had 4 and still own two. All shot to .5 moa or better at 600 yards and in the .2-3's at 100-300. Having said that, I'm an average shooter and reloader. No special skills or training.

I'm planning a carbon build with them but not the mega deal that you're speaking of as I want some specific options that don't match with a group buy.

Out of a few groups I've saved over the years, here's one of my favorites. It's a 25 shot group will fire forming brass on an APR 22-250AI.
25 shot group.jpg

Wrong you are! I ordered a Lone Peak! It was the whole rifle MPA Chassis.. Action ..Dipping Guy..problems at every turn I missed using it 2 deer seasons because
of their BS! I don't care about "Other Guys" Alamo gave me a DATE and failed to meet it by over a YEAR!! It's a 6.5 X 284 so a short action was never considered.
The rifle is nice it shoots great but the whole thing left a bad taste?

Last edited:
Wrong you are! I ordered a Lone Peak! It was the whole rifle MPA Chassis.. Action ..Dipping Guy..problems at every turn I missed using it 2 deer seasons because
of their BS! I don't care about "Other Guys" Alamo gave me a DATE and failed to meet it by over a YEAR!! It's a 6.5 X 284 so a short action was never considered.
I wasn't disagreeing with anything you said. Did it take 2 years to get? I appreciate everybody that has responded to me. Thanks!

It was 20 months after being quoted 6 and sending a $3000.00 deposit.
I was UN-happy to say the least! I have the build sheet. emails. canceled checks.
and final shipping invoice!

sorry to hear that man, that's an exceptionally long wait time...anyone would be unhappy with that

That's the first experience I've heard like that, hopefully anyone else who uses them doesn't have the same wait times

because of wait times, I've gone the route of buying all the parts myself, then taking them to whoever I want to assemble it.

that way, there's no chance your stuff does not get ordered, get's lost in the shop, get's ordered wrong, etc etc

Really cuts down on the wait time also; once you have all the parts obviously - can't do anything about action manufactures, barrels and mainly mcmillan and manners stocks

Yah that sucks but I bet you ordered a Curtis Custom action - Curtis stiffed them on their deliveries and they were forced to order from another manufacturer; specifically on the short action mag ones...

May want to check your facts before you spread innaccurate information on the internet. Curtis Custom didn't "stiff" them on deliveries. Little more to that than you know....

Curious as to who told you that information?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.