Alamo Precision Rifle (APR) Build Excellent Rifles...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beaver10

1FD62BBE-F670-40EF-8C33-0DDB44932023.jpeg
C36D853C-A2AC-4D2E-B65D-EB071C854374.jpeg
0E1B8745-F6B1-4FCC-B861-8EABEFF9CBDC.jpeg
0B8CA0C6-6052-4726-B070-794A1AA45DE7.jpeg
43CAAB02-FA7E-4CBF-A87A-133D292C4891.jpeg
AC980C8C-1342-4AD3-83CE-D0D372127C7C.jpeg
I just authored a thread on what are the advantages of owning a custom build versus and production rifle...And now, I'm going to give my opinion on some of the builds I had APR do for me.

For sake of disclosure, I don't work for or get any kick-back from APR for sharing my impression of their work...If they happen to read this, please feel free to mail me a 35% off coupon for my next build...Grins.

Comparison...I own builds from Accurate Ordnance, Scott Weichel @ Live Oaks Accuracy, GunWerks and GAP to use as a measuring stick. The above named builders built me "Forever Rigs" I hunt them, and I stunt shoot with them. I enjoy them and I'm keeping every single one.

APR hit my radar by chance when I came across a used semi-custom rig for sale in a forum classified. The rig sold within an hour of being posted and I did the obligatory "I'll take seconds, if the deal falls through"...It did, and I ended up owning it.

On inspection once I received it was the level of accuracy for the inlet work, the centering of the barrel in the channel, and the reworked Rem 700 action that was made silky smooth with solid lockup that I took notice of.

Bonus, the rifle shot knots and had nice balance. I was impressed enough to look into them for possible future build needs I would have.

What I discovered was they are a relatively small shop in Hurst, Texas, but have their processes figured out, with solid relationships with parts manufacturers and rebranding some of those parts for themselves to keep costs down for the budget minded buyer...

They run a smart shop that caters to both the blue collar guy who wants a custom build, but not at a price point that takes food from his kids mouths and for the more affluent buyer who wants specific parts used exclusively within his build. APR serves both equally and with excellent turnaround times.

I had to try one...So, I dipped a toe into the water and ordered up a basic build with only a few extras added in, that are important to me. A Maverick with a Carbon Fiber stock in 300 Wby was gonna be spun up for me. Price point IIRC was around $2700 delivered.

5 months later the Maverick is headed my way. For the sake of space, I won't go into each builds details. If interested you can see what a Maverick entails by going here. https://aprifles.com/

What first blew my mind was the stock. It's a custom design APR came up with and has made exclusively for them. It's called the APR Hunter. It's a blending of a Manners and a McMillan Sako Hunter stock. By far the best hunting stock I've ever handled.

The Maverick shot great! Everything, again was perfect, inlet work, smooth action, absolute pride of the builders work was displayed. I was stoked! I wanted more...

Now, I'm going full build with the good sh@t. Proof CF tube, Mack Bros EVO Ti, MCM Mcwoody handle and make it a 6.5 PRC. Boom-It lands!...It's perfect! Rut-Roh!!! This rig shoots like a dogs hind leg...

Something is wrong and I doing loading gymnastics trying to decode the problem, but to no avail. I'm humped...I finally call APR, talked to Robert "The Man" explained what I'm seeing on target and steps I'd taken to correct it.

Robert listened, then started telling me what I was experiencing before I even finished the detailed steps I'd taken on my end..."You caught a bad barrel"...Send it back and we'll replace it right away...

Yeah, I know, that's what any reputable builder would say. Except, I bought all the parts for my build and used them only to assemble...APR didn't have a dog in this fight, other than putting part A to part B...Robert took on the warranty work, replacement of a barrel I bought from another source and completely ran with it to fix what was actually my issue as the provider of parts. Customer Service Award Winner, imo, right there.

The rifle now shoots great! Bad barrels happen. Because of this huge gesture for me as a relatively new customer with APR, it showed me these builders not only care about what comes out of their shop, but, they also have the respect of their vendors as a Tier 1 custom house if they know they will be compensated for the inventory they burn to correct a problem and the labor to fix a faulty part.

APR has gotten the lions share of all my builds this last year. I currently own 6 customs from them and every single one is a perfect example of craftsmanship and accuracy. Some were expensive, while others were more budget minded. All shoot just as great as the other customs I own that cost me more.

If you decide to reach out to APR for information on a possible build. Garrett, John, or Robert will be able to walk you through their easy process.

Now for some pictures...

28 Nosler
280AI
6.5 PRC x 2 of them
300 Wby
20 Practical

Attachments

• 782E4215-AC16-43D6-983E-28A1C12B8329.jpeg
    782E4215-AC16-43D6-983E-28A1C12B8329.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 562
Last edited:
The Maverick, on their site, is the APR Hunter action. Says it's controlled round feed.
Who makes their actions ?

They are only 2 1/2 hours from me. I'd like to go up and visit them. Been thinking about a 6 creed !

Mark,
You have some very nice rifles there. APR seems like a great place to work with. Can't wait to see some dead fur next to them.:cool:

Jason? I never talked to that person..Bad transactions suck, especially when it's on something you're stoked to have made.

I caught the excuses train too, from another builder, who was 8 months late...Guy was paid in full upfront, spent my money, and had to keep bumping my build to the back of the line so he could collect completion payments on rig where people had a balance owed once the rifle was finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.