Aimpoint dot scopes

Kevin

I know this does not pertain much to long range but have any of you used these on rifles like semi autos and 22's or anything like that. Just wondering about qualtiy of the product in general.

Thanks

The Aimpoint is (for right now) the standard by which all other CCO, cqb, whatever optics out there are judged. Durable, extremly long battery life(1,000 hours on one model) and fast to use.

Aimpoints quality is top notch , pretty much if you see a goverment agency using a tool then it has more than likly been torture tested , and their are several SWAT and
Spec-Ops teams that use Aimpoints.
BUT the smallest dot they offer is 4moa so it basicaly covers 4" at 100yds and 2" at 50yds so for say a 22lr it will cover up a small critters head at 50yds. but on a man sized target in CQB conditions witch max range maybe 50-75yds for a carbine it is pretty precise and thats basicaly what it was made for.
Now the ACOG that you see on the 101st's M4's is a great sight , its a 4x optic with a precise aiming system that looks like an upside down Triangle , some of the SF guys are accurate with this setup out to 600yds. But your talking about a site that gonna cost $900-$1200.

Just a little note , I have seen where some SEALs are mounting a J-point type holographic site to the top of their ACOGs for CQB. Also saw one that had an iron site system mounted at 1-2 o-clock on his forend rail , like some of the 3 gun match shooters do.

But back to the pint a quality 4x scope makes a great scope for 22lr , they have a pretty good field of view and enough power to make head shots on rodents

Seems a bit expensive for a 22. I'd look at a COBRA - 1,8MOA dot and several different reticle shapes. Designed for use on AK's. I've also been playing with ARMSON O.E.G. sights - Tritium lit so no batteries. But it takes some practise.

Thanks for the replies. The ACOGs look good, but like you say they are pricy.

I did not notice at first about the smallest dot on the aimpoint being 4MOA. I agree that is too big for varmits.

I have used the Tasco 40mm with adjustable dot for 6 years on my ruger 22 mark 2 and one on my 10-22 great for 100yds shots on varmints.very cheap also. the BSA is making one for air guns that looks like it for less then $40 bucks.

I guess they do make 2 MOA dot scopes. That wouldn't be so bad out to 50 yards on small critters. I have never had any dot scope before. Just got a chance to look through one and I liked it. I have never been a fan of pistol scopes because they seem slow to me.

The Nikon Monarch has a 1, 4, 6 or 10 MOA dot. Really handy to be able to change the dot size. The aimpoint is top notch quality, but Nikon is certainly no slouch. I got mine at huntersdiscount web page

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.