dot reticle scopes

Bill56

Please forgive me if this has been covered before. If so, point me to those posts as I couldn't find what I was looking for doing a search. Besides, I'm not very good at searches plus I'm new to all of this.

Anyway, for long range target shooting, can a scope with just a dot reticle be used practically? I mean, there would be no way to do any ranging with the reticle. One would have to do all adjustments by dialing, am I correct? Also, distances to the target would need to be known beforehand or determined using a rangefinder?

Thanks for your help.

Bill

Dot reticles can work great for long range shooting but yes, you would need to dial for your distances and a range finder or Google earth would aid greatly in determining distance.

Let me know if I can help additionally

Regards,
Ken

Thanks a bunch, Ken.

Now, for those who are technically challenged (yeah me), just how does Google Earth help in determining distances between objects?

Bill

Hello Bill,

Google earth help in determining distances by, zooming in on the general area you are planning to shoot and then use the distance measure tool,"looks like a verticle standing Ruler" select the option for Path and set the increments in yards or meters and this generally works quite well as long as you have a decent easy to find linear range.

Regards,
Ken

How could Google map be????? If you have an older scope as my Tascorama Varmint, 6x24, 1/8 MOA dot , 1/8 MOA turrets ? I would say check your bullet speed -weight - consult relialbe charts , and use the MOA for bullet drop at range. lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.