Age this guy.

The deer are not very old. I'd say the fork horn is 1 1/2 and the bigger one 2 maybe 3. Reasoning is that he is skinnny in the face and basically the entire body (like a teenage after going thru a growth spurt) and he has no sag in his back. Antlers are also pretty spindly but that could be genetics depending on location.
But to be honest I hunt exclusively public land and he is a legal buck so IMO he wouldn't get any older!

Trail cam picked these. Res is not good. Age this one with tall rack. I don't know the answer, tryng to learn.

View attachment 381142View attachment 381143View attachment 381144
As others have said, aging on the hoof must take into consideration the factors of habitat, genetics and range conditions. However, noting you are in Austin and the background looks like Edwards Plateau habitat I am going to guess you're looking at a 2-1/2 year old deer. Could be 3-1/2 but I don't think so.

I base this estimate on the observations we can make of a thin neck, the lack of heft in the brisket area of the animal and the relative appearance of his legs being a bit gangly when compared to his overall body configuration. If I was on a property where my goals were the healthy development of the herd, as opposed to a pure meat hunt, I would let this guy walk this year for sure. On the other hand, that is a decision we each must make for ourselves and be comfortable with the outcome.

As others have said, aging on the hoof must take into consideration the factors of habitat, genetics and range conditions. However, noting you are in Austin and the background looks like Edwards Plateau habitat I am going to guess you're looking at a 2-1/2 year old deer. Could be 3-1/2 but I don't think so.

I base this estimate on the observations we can make of a thin neck, the lack of heft in the brisket area of the animal and the relative appearance of his legs being a bit gangly when compared to his overall body configuration. If I was on a property where my goals were the healthy development of the herd, as opposed to a pure meat hunt, I would let this guy walk this year for sure. On the other hand, that is a decision we each must make for ourselves and be comfortable with the outcome.

Thank you.

I will let it walk for a couple of years. There was a 6 pointer that showed up during the extended doe hunt I will get it this year. Will let nephew shoot a couple barren does.

long legs , long face, flank area is tight, 2 1/2 year old, leave him alone , tell everybody else to leave him alone for at least 3 more years or 4 . OR YOU WILL BEAT THERE ***.

Recent Posts