Afternoon at the Range

royinidaho

I had this nearly finished when the forum server timed out. Now I have a bit of a bow in my neck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Any way, I'll redo it as it shows how difficult it is to calibrate turrets (drop chart) and get beyond 500 yds when you're as dumb, well at least unobservant, as I am. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I generated the first turret chart and range tested it but things weren't right and I couldn't see wasting shoots until things were made right.

The major problem was a bit of an incompatibility between me and the stock. Kind of like being married to the wrong woman. We just weren't getting along. When Kirby built the rifle, he said that he found a stock that he thought would be ok. I said ok put'er on. Bad choice on my part. The 270 AM shot really well off the bench. I was thrilled. Of the bipod under varying conditions, I just couldn't get comfortable with it. It was a good walk & stalk stock but not really pleasant for me for prone shooting.

I went to work on it and after several weeks time, turned out the first Randa Enterprises LRH Hide stock. Used from a hide, that is) Who want's to carry around a 12#+ rifle w/a 30" barrel. Not this old dude!

I also designed and developed a bipod that I felt should be up to the task.

So this afternoon I put the stock on the rifle, loaded up 10 195WCs and all the other stuff and headed for the range.

I painted the 328 yard gone, set up a turkey at 437 and painted the hunk of metal hanging at 547 yards. I then set up on the shooting line.

I unfolded the drag bag and fastened the bipod to the stock, spread things out and got ready for an enjoyable afternoon on the gravel.

I knew that my revised turret chart was good for the 328 range so I set it to the 325 mark.

I got nestled in behind the big girl, and really liked what I felt. The bipod was solid. I could move the butt left and right to get on target w/o any leg flexing and when ready to touch the trigger there was no heart beat visible. So far so good. The feel of the thumb hole and palm swells were just what I wanted. I could hold the rifle delicately, with just a touch of cheek weld and a bit of squeeze of the rear bag brought everything into alignment.

I set thet turret to 327, dialed in .75 MOA for the wind, set up on the 328 yard gong and sent the bullet on its way. Big time CLANK. (Well at least I hit it. Seeing as how the rifle had been apart and together several times since it was last fired I was pleased even though the gong is about 2 feet in diameter. (I'm used to shooting less than great rifles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif)

I drove down to look at the hit. (read too lazy to pack the spotter.) Plus the drive provides time to enjoy things.

Hmmmmmmm, a bit wide, even for a clean barrel. I'm not used to seeing the first shot from a clean barrel being that many inches of. But then I've only fired from clean barrel off the bench @ 200 yds???
3321st-300-med.jpg

What to do? Start cranking knobs as I usually do? Nah, not this time. Have a little faith in the thing.

I set up on the gong with the same settings and sent another 195 on its way. This time results were a bit better.
3322nd-300-med.jpg

If the first shot would have not been so far out, I would have stopped hear and went to the next distance. But for confidence sake I let another 195 go. BTW, the wind was about 12mph from left to right from about 250* (my feet being @180*)with gusts to 16-18 mph per internet real time data. I have no kestrel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
3323rd-300-med.jpg

With that third shot I went from an anxiety attack to a bit of cockness /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I had set up a turkey at 437yds and with the feeling of being able to conquer the world, rather than go to the 547 distance, lets do an head shot on ol' mister turk.

I dialed the turrets for 422.5 yds (just the way it turns out when there is 4 clicks between 390 and 440 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif) and a bit more for windage at that distance.

I settled in behind the big girl again and let another bullet fly. Immediate cheers went up from the crowd (me) as I watched the turkey fall then heard the hit. Now I'm really pumped. Hell there ain't nobody better than me here today (me being the only one there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Well it wouldn't have killed it but.......I'm still pumped. With my 338 RUM I have to shoot for the neck to get a hit.
3321st-Turkey-med.jpg

Now cockiness ain't the word for it. I'm pounding my chest and doing a little dance. Lets go for the kill this time.

I made one more click into the wind and nudged the POA up just a schoshi bit and let'er go. Again saw it fall in the scope and later heard the hit. Now the dust is flyin' from my little dance and the lava rock rang with cheers. I hurt my elbow patting myself on the back. Hell, I otta send Kirby some more money......
3322nd-Turkey-med.jpg

Well! now things are going so good that the 547 hunk of metal is gonna be a cinch.

I set the elevation turret to 550, dialed in more windage, I was up to 2 MOA now and settled in and let'er go. I saw the hit. It looked like someone shot the berm with a cannon full of nuts and bolts. What was that all about? I took the drive.
That's my hit on the upper left side, the shiny spot. (the one below it was my first hit from the last trip.

The hole in the center of the orange paint was my last hit from last trip.
332First-500m-med.jpg

Well with such confidence welling, I figured fire for affect, that was just a bad shot. I let another go and saw the hit off to the left of the target????

OK, who messed with my rifle was I was out there? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif I made the drive and there was the divit. Spot on for elevation but at least an MOA off of the Metal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Now ol' Roy is coming back to earth a bit. What the heck is going on???????

Well, let's shoot again. Same result. In the same divit? I place a white rock in the divit to the left of the target. These two shots hit about 2" up from the bottom of the rock.

I'm thinking I'll take another, my last shot, and if I hit the rock, well, I hit the rock. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I drive back to the firing line and pace around a bit before getting back on the pad. After much pondering all of a sudden my ****'d old knoggin kicks in. ****, who in the hell turned off the wind with out telling me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

How in the heck long can you live in Idaho and not be aware that towards evening the wind ALL OF A SUDDEN drops off to maybe 10 or 15% of its high value for the day. Then as dusk approaches the **** stuff flat quits. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Now I'm on the other end of the emotion specturm. I crank down to ZERO MOA for windage and let the last one fly. Remember I said that the wind dropped of but didn't stop. Well it was still work about .7 MOA at 547......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
332Last-500-med.jpg

So here I am, sucking my thumb with my nose in the corner eatin' gummy worms /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

At least my turret is calibrated out to 547.

I gotta get me a spotter to kick me in the *** once in awhile, a hand held weather gizmo, and EXBAL them maybe I'll be able to shoot up to the ability of the rifle.

But it was still the best way to spend an afternoon, in the summer, that a fella can do.

All I have to say is the wind can be a ****y winch with any rifle you shoot!!!

That turkey head will be gone soon if you keep that up.

Now lets talk more about sending more money!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

Roy in Idaho,

That was good shooting.

I enjoyed the reading and thank you for sharing.

Roy

Iv'e got it, you arre suffering mirage effect from that bright stock /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Great narrative of your reannge session, sounds like you are almost there.

Jonathan

Roy,

Get out of the corner, it ain't all bad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Don't feel to bad. I had mine all dialed in so that I had a 200yd zero and only needed to adjust up a little to wring it out to 1K using the bars on the scope. This had been tested out and worked great for my load.

Then after trying to dial in for a 1K verification,(had the height down, just not the windage), I ended up putting the thing back in the case with out resetting the dials. You can bet the next range secession was a total head scratcher, till the light came on.

Yep similar situation only several weeks between rounds. I must admit, if I ever get up to the level of the rifle, I might consider something a little more formal than pasture plinking.

Your right though, it was a great way to spend the afternoon. I will hopefully be doing some of that myself this coming Sunday morning. I'll only have a limited amount of time to squeeze it in, but I should be able at least get a quick fix.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts