New at Long Range

lrmed1

Really have been wanting to shoot long range for a while now. Finally made the decision to go for it last year. I was intimidated at first, thinking I had to have a lot of fancy equipment. I was encouraged by reading articles and post on this forum and decided to go for it.

I really couldn't afford a new rifle, so I decided to use what I had. I have a Ruger M77 Hawkeye in .270 Win with a Zeiss Conquest 3.5x10x50. I sent it off last year before deer season and had it retrofitted with target turrets. I also ordered the Rifle Basix trigger for the Hawkeye and installed it. It shot very close to 1" at 100 with Winchester Power Max. I zeroed it at 200 and shot it a few times out to 600 yards with some success (6-8" groups at 600).

This year I'm going to reload with the help of a neighbor. I'm trying 130 gr Berger Classic Hunters with IMR 4350. I should start working up a load in the next week or so. I'm waiting to finish the bedding job. I installed aluminum pillars in the Tupperware stock tonight and will bed the action on Monday. I can't wait to get loaded and get it out to the range to try it out. I know it's not a Remington or Savage, but I believe in dancing with the date that brought you. I will post pictures of it when I get done and some target pictures of my first groups.

Last edited:
I am also pretty new here and to this game in general. I've found this forum to be a termendous source of good information.

I'm also shooting a 270 Win in a very inexpensive rifle with what I consider decent results.

I don't know if this will be of any help, but there is an article here on this site by Eric Stecker of Berger Bullets with some loading tips for their bullets.

Good luck and have fun! gun)

Last edited:
The 270win is a great cartridge. And with the newer bullet offerings it may prove to become a great long range cartridge for hunting. Stay at it and let us know how it goes.

I have my pillars installed, action bedding completed, and a little more adjustment on my trigger. I loaded my test loads, 3 each at half grain steps from 51-55 grains. I got out to the range this morning for some shooting and shot 2 11/4" groups at 100 yards with 54 and 54.5 grains. I hope it tightens up a little during .1 grain steps. I'm not completely happy with any of the test loads, but I can live with it due to it being my first attempt at bedding, floating , and loading. Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated. Thanks. image.jpg

Generally speaking, 'good' accuracy is .5" at 100 yards (measured center-to-center). With your 1.25" group, I would consider doing something a little more drastic than adjusting your powder charge. I would consider a different bullet or a different powder (a buddy of mine that shoots a 270 gets good results with H4831 and I get similar good results with the same powder in http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-280-updated-32771/)

Also, when making powder adjustments, .1 is probably too small. With a 50+ grain load, 1% is .5grains. As a result, your strategy of going in .5grain increments is a good one, then if you want to fine tune I would look at .3 and maybe .2

I accomplished what I wanted to today, I narrowed down a node in my barrel that maybe I can tune to. Thanks for the advice Trebark, I will follow your suggestion and try .2 gr. increments around the two charges that got the best groups. If I don't do better than an inch, then I will try the more drastic approach. I have nothing to lose other than a little time now.

The bergers are very sensitive to seating depth. After finding the powder load that shoots the best, play with the length. Seating some slightly longer and some slightly shorter than your current length. I'm sure one direction will tighten them up more.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts