Aftermarket Stock for Vanguard 338 WM.

Footsore

I have just bought a Weatherby Vanguard in 338 Winchester Magnum and would like some opinions on an economical stock to replace the factory synthetic stock that came with the rifle. I will be using the rifle for hunting from close range to its accuracy limit. I have two in mind, a Boyd's walnut or laminate in the JRS classic design or the Hogue Overmolded Synthetic with pillar bedding. Do any Vanguard owners use either of these stocks and what do you think of them.
I realise the Boyd's stock may need an upgraded recoil pad. But am prepared to do this along with possibly pillar and epoxy bedding
All the best.

I have just bought a Weatherby Vanguard in 338 Winchester Magnum and would like some opinions on an economical stock to replace the factory synthetic stock that came with the rifle. I will be using the rifle for hunting from close range to its accuracy limit. I have two in mind, a Boyd's walnut or laminate in the JRS classic design or the Hogue Overmolded Synthetic with pillar bedding. Do any Vanguard owners use either of these stocks and what do you think of them.
I realise the Boyd's stock may need an upgraded recoil pad. But am prepared to do this along with possibly pillar and epoxy bedding
All the best.

MANNERS is what I have my HOWA sitting in and I love it. BEst part I have ever bought!

Mine also sits in a Manners .. excellent.
Might be worth looking at the Howa Legacy catalogue ... seems they have about 10 options, some that look very Boyd'ish ...
Wild Dog also do one I think..
enjoy your Vanguard / Howa

I put a Boyds thumbhole on a 7-08 vanguard,....it is 10 times better then the factory synthetic, lighter and better balanced. The recoil bad was fine for the 7-08 but a .338WM has a little more attitude. I got it off the Boyds clearance special for 75.00 I would also recommend getting a timney trigger, I did not know how spongy my factory trigger was until I got the timney, plus the timney is a 3 position safety instead of two like the factory trigger is.

001-1.jpg

Thanks kenman,...very good thread reference, but the timney trigger has the same adjustments and takes it to another level over the factory trigger I got the timney from Midway for 70.00 a few years back,...they are around 90 now. A very cost effective upgrade IMHO, Also it is a 3 position safety for those that like to be able to unload the chamber with the trigger blocked.

Manners must be the go to stock/s for Howa's.

Have a Howa sitting in a Manners T2 and it also has a Timney trigger. Howa's and Timney's go together likes pees and carrots. :D

For me, the Timney is a must have on a Howa and worth every penny.

I appreciate that the OP is about stocks but triggers have crept in...
Having shot with a very well tuned factory trigger I tried a timney - nice and well better than the standard, but for me, there was no reason to put one in.
The two trigger units that do interest me are the 2-stagers ... GG X-treme tactical and HuberConcepts. Neither avaiable for the Howa .. yet: but soon hopefully.
Back to the thread ... I saw several of the stock options from Legacy yesterday. 1 a green over-moulded rubber, a lam thumbhole and a lam varmint. Basically Hogue and Boyds and quite reasonably priced. Perhaps the others are as good?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.