Aftermarket Barrels

BMosh

I'm looking to upgrade the barrel on my Savage 11/111 LRH .300WM. Out of all of the custom barrels out there, which would you guys recommend for hunting. And which number contour? I'm leaning towards a Shilen #4.

Any of the major manufacturers make good barrels. I just had a rifle rebarreled with a Bartlein and I like it a lot. But I think The Shilen are good barrels also. #4 contour is about perfect for a rifle that you will be carrying around a lot. But that is also personal preference.

I would use criterion if you are wanting to us a pre-fit barrel.

Could you explain why, in your opinion? I'm open to all opinions and suggestions. This will be my first aftermarket build. I've shot a Savage with an ER Shaw barrel and liked. That may be an option as well.

There is more to a Savage upgrade than simply changing the barrel and it is pretty easy to do yourself. The barrel nut and recoil lug are some of the parts you want to change when you do the barrel. The guru is Jim at Northland Shooters Supply. He will walk you through it step by step, the parts you need, and the tools to do it. There are a ton of videos on Youtube and yes it is as easy as it looks. They carry prefit barrels as well from Shilen & Criterion or you can get one from anywhere but his wrenches are better than the Wheeler ones. If you are still using the Accutrigger he has lighter springs for it that will put it on par with a timney, etc. for $10. If your rifle has the smooth barrel nut get rid of it for sure because the wrench won't fit it.

NSS Upgraded Components |

Match Grade Barrels |

There are plenty of ways to do it but yes it is that simple. It's almost hard to mess up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wedgy has good comments. Especially with the recommendation of Jim at Northland Shooters Supply. It may take him a day or so to get back to you, but when he does he is all ears, and he will make sure you get what you need.

For the smooth barrel nut though. They do have a wrench for it at Midway that is good. and I like the smooth barrel nut on my 25-06.

Thanks for all the info guys. I've checked out NSS website. I'll have to give him a call. This rifle has one more hunting trip, then will be equipped with a new barrel/accessories and eyeballing a McMillan Game Scout.

As to stock choices; make sure you specify if yours is the bottom bolt release or the side style as they fir different stocks.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.