700 Remington aftermarket stock recommendations

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by TopPin, May 13, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. TopPin

TopPin Member

300 RUM, factory 700 stainless barrel, factory stock. Fortunately this gun shoots great 1/2 5 shot groups at 100. Even with the factory trigger. I'm in search of opinions on after market stocks. I want to keep the weight down as it is still going to be packed. Have looked at the AG composite hunter, but never shot one. Any recommendations on stocks out there? And no I'm not spending more than 700 bucks. It's a factory barrel and until its shot out it's not changing.

2. ash1055

ash1055 Active Member

I have a MagPul Hunter stock on my Remington 308 heavy barrel tac. works pretty well.

3. Dosh

Dosh Well-Known Member

Top, what is your budget? The AG stocks are > $500 and very lightweight. Does the RUM have a brake. Perhaps bundle a stock and a aftermarket trigger.

4. TopPin

TopPin Member

Yes I put a break on it, kicks less than a 243, essentially trying to get a better more stable stock, assuming it will stabilize the rifle better. I free floated and fiberglass beaded the factory stock, and gained a mile of improvement. I'm assuming I only have 4 to 500 rounds left in the barrel, and then I will most likely re barrel with a proof. But that is for a later.

5. silverhair

silverhair Member

What deficiency in the current stock are you experiencing that makes you desire a new stock?

Ingwe likes this.
  6. TopPin

TopPin Member

Well I like to tinker, and i think i can get it to shoot better, and I'd like to have a higher comb so I can max out my scope. And yes there is already a 20 moa rail mounted. Plus I think it would look cool lol just being honest

7. silverhair

silverhair Member

Boyds may make a stock or two that you might like. I have a Promag Archangel that works well for me that is highly adjustable. Rock solid with very good performance, but it isn't a featherweight.

8. Canhunter35

Canhunter35 Well-Known Member

Boyd’s make nice stocks
    Krg bravo is another option that fits ur budget
    Cadex strike nuke chassis as another

9. L.Sherm

L.Sherm Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

I love AG stocks I've shot 5 rifles that have them, cat 700 and Alpine hunter. The Alpine hunter is becoming my favorite.

10. Rick Richard

Rick Richard Well-Known Member

HS Precision is a good option. A friend purchased a Stockys and is very impressed with it.

just country and TopPin like this.
  11. TopPin

TopPin Member

What do you like about it?

12. L.Sherm

L.Sherm Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

There very ridged the fit and finish is awesome. And you dont wait forever for one.

waspocrew likes this.
  13. Shane Lindsey

Shane Lindsey Well-Known Member

https://grayboe.com/
    These seem reasonable. No experience with them...the other thought is buy once, cry once.

If packing it and not looking to put a heavy barrel on it later, I like the McMillan Game Scout for a narrow/sporter type barrel. I have one on a sporter barrel and really like it. Also have a Ruger “R” style, similar to the Rem “Classic” style. Very light but not too light. I would do this again for a lighter weight/walking stalker.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Boman and silverhair like this.
  14. waspocrew

waspocrew Well-Known Member

AG composites gets my vote as well. Very nice stocks, great finish.

Jeffrey Van Zandt likes this.