after the kill

Jimm

Well, what I did was to cut the venison tenderloin in bite size pieces ....AFTER I had used a tenderizing device on both sides of the meat .

The tenderizing was not for tenderizing but for the quicker cooking time that it brings about .

Then , a bath in beaten egg followed by a drain in a collander .Thats a bowl with little holes in it for you cooking impaired long range whackers .

At this point the deep fryer should be humming along at about 350 or so . Don't you dare put those beautiful bits of premeditasted murder venison bits in the deep fryer without first coating them in flour , salt and pepper . Then do so merrily as you will be glad in a little while . Just don't wait long , it takes very little time for the bites to be ready to go to the next step. Check them out , a little red insid e is just right .Remember , they are not at the end of the road yet. Set them aside when cooked lightly but floating .
In the meanwhile you will have started a roux with bacon grease and flour in a separate skillet . 4 or 5 tablespoons of bacon grease with whatever amount of flour it takes to produce a " not greasy , not dry " roux . Don't get in a hurry , add flour as you need to while watching the progress of the roux .350 degrees is a good middle temp to work with .

At this point personal preferences come into play. I like to use chicken broth and milk to modify the gravy that is cooking . Coupla cans of broth per avg skillet and a cup or two of milk , always let the mix come up to temp before you add add'l liquids.Oh , yeah , add the venison at this point and get some rice cooking to serve this marvelous concoction over .

Jim B.

Ahhhh , then the Piece de' resi ahhh shhoot the good stuff . One can of Rotel , added to the gravy makings simmered for a bit , served over rice .

Ummm , ummm, Jim B.

Yo jimm,

Try same receipe but using Krusteaz hot cake mix instead of flour.

Some kinda good. You won't be dissapointed. Maybe even add a little Tony's cajun seasoning if you wish.

My mouf is waderin'.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif and da freezer's MT.

I don't have that much patience - the deer/elk/duck finger steaks get dipped in some fry sauce if they last that long after coming out of the fryer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

So what time is dinner?

If I leave now I can swing by Alabama, loop up through Arkansas and then I need somebody to feed me somewhere about Colorado before getting to Idaho.

Whats for dessert?

How am I doing?

Well, I will say that I have tried everything I know to kill a turkey including hit and run with the truck and the hunting is really good but success is elusive. The limit is only one so if I should kill one I have to quit hunting and just go fishing everyday.

Unless I find a really dumb turkey there will be no posting of turkey recipes by me.

Oh man, I've got to try that. I still have a ton a venison in the freezer. Bob, like you, I don't have any more turkey.
....and bob, I bought a eastman carbon venture blind. You can get one on ebay for $75. Turkeys will walk right up to it. You can put in one of those fields you see them in every morning, set up some decoys and wait.

Sorry about the turkey talk, didn't mean to hijack a thread, but I know what Bob's going through.

Hijack ! ,

Well this thread needs a hijack as we are all to fat from eating anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I think lildevil is right , a wild game or otherwise recipe section would be great .

What about it Len ? tell you what , all my recipes that I contribute are free and if everyone else does the same then you can publish a book of recipes with a bit of personal style thrown in on each recipe and get ............richer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So .......what do you say ? Len ?

Jim B.

For sure !! now my mouth is watering , I'm partial to fried apple pies too and peach and chocolate and ............... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jim B.

We just had our Carpenters for Christ staging and planning supper and had fried apple and banana pies also homemade banana pudding and cakes all very good... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.