Advice to someone wanting to plan 1st Alaska moose self guided hunt?

I really want to do an unguided hunt in Alaska. I am willing to reserve now and wait years if need be. I really don't know where to start it is so overwhelming. I'm happy to take any advice- I'm not looking to steal your secret transporter or anything. Where is a good place to start? Any recommended reading materials other than the hunting regs which I already have? Feel free to PM if you want I will take any help I can get, presently looking at some hunt planners and air services and trying to figure out what is right for us. Mostly I am just looking for words of wisdom from those who have done this before.

There are a few of us up in Alaska, I'm sure we could lend a hand in some fashion if you make it up here.

As far as tips? Don't go into the back country without a sat phone or at least sat messager. Chances are you won't need it, but if you do need it, that will be the only way you'll be able to communicate with the rest of the world in 95% of the places you'll hunt. If you don't want to hike it and you will be starting from the road system 6ou can rent 4wheelers from a few places. Don't rent a side by side. Too much Muskeg and not enough trees. If you get it stuck you might not be able to get it out by yourself, and there might not be another person withing 50 miles of you.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.