What to get to moose hunting ....

Mush

I live in northern region of Quebec in Canada. I need a rifle to go moose hunting this autumn. My uncle got a Lazzeroni 7.21 mm. Nice gun.

What can I get that will be comparable to that gun and can be less expensive to buy and to shoot.

I need long range precision, I figure to be firing at between 600-1000 feets.

I need to buy that gun stock. Can,T wait for hand built.

What about scope ... I am a newbie, But I have money and I only want to buy once. So I prefer to do it right the first time.

Suggestions.

Mush

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=71042106
I would say if you can handle the recoil an ultra mag would fill your needs. Any thing from a 270 to 300 ultra would work for you. You would have to take in to account if you reload, how much recoil you can take, and what all you want to do with the rifle. If you are just going to shoot out to 350 yards then you would not really need all the gizmos for a scope. A rifle that you can handle well and a leupold 4,5 x 14x 40 would fill your needs

Mush, first. welcome aboard, always great to hear from the canucks! moose really are not a very tough animal. i've seen a bunch of em shot with many deer calibers, including a 243, and they're dead. i wouldn't worry about a large case, just get a 30-06 and put a good scope on it.you'll have plenty of power for moose and maybe the most common ammo on the shelf in sporting good stores.

Let me refine my needs so you guys can pin-point me more precisely.

Maybe it is because that I feel my penis small, but I like the idea of an ultra magnum shell !

I have never fire such big gun, so I don't know how much recoil I can handle, but I fired my uncle 7.21 mm and it was OK.

Now brands. If I go with, let's see, a 7 mm RUM caliber, does many gun companies make such caliber. I want quality and consistency (sorry about that word, my primary language is french) with the crafting.

I want to do it right the first time and forget about that for my life. I don't plan to visit the firing range more than 5-6 times a years to keep me sharp.

Reloading would be an option next years, but if I can find quality and constant ammo, I can pass on this.

I have a budget of about 2500-3000 $ Can.

Thanks all for your help.

Mush

Mush, the 300 ultra is more popular among rifle makers; you´ll find more factory rifles in the 300 than in a 7 ultra.

As has been said, a 30.06 will work depending on how far you are going to shoot.

Now if you are going to keep visiting the forum, forget about being done with this 300 ultra rifle; I can guarantee little sparks of desire soon for another one....

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.