Advice on tactical. 22 scope

forest

Guys I have just purchased a .22lr ruger 10 / 22 semi auto.
I am going to build a tactical stock on her for a little project. I was looking some advice on a tactical scopes which would suit it. Obviously I want a quality and reliable optic for 50-150 yards. I pretty much think that will be pushing the limits going much further. Any advice appreciated thanks.
I have read the scopes for rim fire is the only way and not to buy a centre fire scope does that make any sense?

??? Why is that not the best option? When I mean tactical it's something which would suit the stock. I was looking at the bushnell 2-7? It's use was for vermin control.

I have S&B on 223 and 308 pm11 which i use for deer but I feel they are abit too much for a rim fire. 22.

I am just not sure on rim fire scopes that's the reason I just asked.

Maybe I worded it wrong? I don't mean a full tactical military scope. Just something that would suit that rifle best? On a tactical stock and give it a tactical look.

Last edited:
it seems you are not sure on a lotta stuff. Rimfire, centerfire, tactical scopes. What is it you want? a tactical scope, with turrets? A rimfire scope with drop compensating reticle? Suitability of a centerfire scope on a rimfire? As long as the parallax on the centerfire scope suits you, it'll work just fine.It is a ton-O-fun to play at long range with a .22. Might as well buy a scope with lots of internal adjustment, such as the SWFA SS's. They'll get you farther than the .22 tacticals like the P-22 or pride-fowler.

Yes I think that's it I am not sure. Basically I wanted a scope that looked tactical for the rifle. But from what I am understanding from you if I do that it won't be good for distance?
If that's the case I'll look at the scope you have listed. Plenty of adjustment is probaly better. When you speck of long range what is a .22lr capable of at distance? For target?
This I feel is now going of the topic on this thread but I am curious. My .308 I have is built from a remy 700 action and I fitted a Accuracy International stock to it. It is a very capable rifle out to 1000 yards. At the minute I can hit a 6in target at 600yards which isn't much for that rifle. I now plan to replace the factory trigger soon. Can a .22lr be pushed that far on paper? I just wasn't sure about how a rimfire worked when fitting certain scopes.
I have bought the ruger target tactical 10 / 22 semi auto. That's why I wanted to build her similar to a AR look.

Get a Sightron 8-32x56 and a 20 MOA rail and you will be able to dial to 300.

I sold my "tactical" 22 when I got the Ruger American Rimfile sorted out. A little better than the 10/22 which is a 1/2 gun at 100 yards.

Never use copper plated/jacketed ammo.

Minumum quality is CCI Standard velocity.
SKS or Wolf is better.
Lapua is better still, Polar Biathalon is what I use.
Eley EPS is the best but at $28 per box? I bought a case of Polar so it's $13.50 per box.

Each rifle is picky enough to vary preferences with the +$11 per box ammo. Very few rifles dislike Eley EPS.

Never use copper plated/jacketed ammo.

Minumum quality is CCI Standard velocity.
SKS or Wolf is better.
Lapua is better still, Polar Biathalon is what I use.
Eley EPS is the best but at $28 per box? I bought a case of Polar so it's $13.50 per box.

Each rifle is picky enough to vary preferences with the +$11 per box ammo. Very few rifles dislike Eley EPS.

Ok that's good to know thanks. As I said I have no idea about rimfire semi auto rifles. How many rounds would you recommend before cleaning?

Last edited:
Guys I have just purchased a .22lr ruger 10 / 22 semi auto.
I am going to build a tactical stock on her for a little project. I was looking some advice on a tactical scopes which would suit it. Obviously I want a quality and reliable optic for 50-150 yards. I pretty much think that will be pushing the limits going much further. Any advice appreciated thanks.
I have read the scopes for rim fire is the only way and not to buy a centre fire scope does that make any sense?

For your consideration >>> Primary Arms 6X Scope with the Patented ACSS 22LR Reticle Sighting System

Ok that's good to know thanks. As I said I have no idea about rimfire semi auto rifles. How many rounds would you recommend before cleaning?

I don't "clean" the barrel of a 22 they way we normally think of it.

If it shoots try not to mess with it if you can avoid it.

1) bore snake the barrel after a shooting session. Note: Removed the "brush" from the bore shake, they will wiggle out with work. Spray the "fat end" with a little Eezox.
2) clean the action with q-tips and Eezox.

Only when accuracy degrades do you remove the action from the stock for a thorough cleaning.

Get a polymer buffer
Get a Volquarzen hammer and sear kit.
Polish the trigger sear engagement with automotive rubbing compound.

I tried to find a picture of my 10/22 but I can't locate it. I can get one next Wednesday.

You need to consider a https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QJ67A1Q/?tag=lrhmag19-20 over a Harris. I know I'm gonna take some punishment for that.

Peleton Technology, LLC that makes the TipTop bipod is based in Denver Colorado. The lady that owns the company is a engineer and shooting enthusiast. Her "day job" is real engineering.

Yes they are manufactured in China but they are not a clone of the Harris. They are stronger/stiffer than a Harris and made to her quality levels. I have them on everything. I have done side by side (well swapping) comparisons. The order of accuracy.

Harris clones (crap) very poor repeatability and accuracy.
Harris, ok repeatability. Every little feature is a $$ add on.
Peleton TipTop, good repeatability. All the features are included.
Sinclair Gen I F-Class bipod with my replacement center. Better yet but not by much. The real reason I like this is notched legs.
Sinclair Gen II F-Class bipod with my replacement leg clamps. Great, it is how Sinclair should have made it in the first place.
JJ Front rest, the best but it's not a bipod.

Of course the last 2 are in no way "tactical".

I prefer the notched leg and waited 2 years for her to finalize the design. I received prototypes and sent back feed back. It is totally different from the Harris. Again stronger and more rigdid.

Truth in advertising: I don't get anything from Peleton for free. I purchase my bipods through Amazon. I return all prototypes with my notes and recommendations.

Got to here more about the Primary Arms Scope. How's the quality, glass, and how well does the ranging reticle work? Do you have to use a specific ammo to match the drop? For example CCI and ELEY.

I checked those PA Scopes they do look some bit of kit!!! I think i am sold on one! geo4061 you can see it on YouTube.
I hit the link you guys put up but now I have a problem. The store only posts within the States not worldwide by the looks of it. That's a bummer I have never spotted those scopes out my way before. You can pretty much buy all the other top of the range scopes in my local store. But nothing like that specifically for a .22lr.
Does anyone know any dealers who post those PA scopes worldwide?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts