Advice on an accurate "carrying rifle" (sub $600)

megastink

Hello! I am seeking advice on an inexpensive rifle that I can mount a scope on, throw on my back, and go hunting. I hunt some rugged terrain here in eastern Pa, so this gun will get tossed around a bit. I am looking for the following features:

-Accurate (I shoot Hornady factory ammo)
-lightweight (7.5#max)
-24" barrel, no bigger than medium contour, sporter ok. NOT a 22".
-street price under $600

Whatever I decide, it will be used for varmints, maybe deer under 150 yards, and will most likely be in .243 win, 260 rem, 7mm-08, or like caliber. I may replace the stock, but it will be bedded regardless.

I was inspired by the Weatherby Sub-moa G2 I saw at my local Bass Pro. It was $450. Anyone toy with one of these?

Any help would be great. Thanks all!

-Mega

I know you said no 22" barrels but I would push you pretty hard toward a Tikka T3 or a Sako A7, the sako may run over budget though unless you find a great deal. but the Tikka is a steal of a deal, they shoot awesome, are very light and come with scope rings so that saves you yet another $50, if you are absolutly against it Look at Savage

Hello! I am seeking advice on an inexpensive rifle that I can mount a scope on, throw on my back, and go hunting. I hunt some rugged terrain here in eastern Pa, so this gun will get tossed around a bit. I am looking for the following features:

-Accurate (I shoot Hornady factory ammo)
-lightweight (7.5#max)
-24" barrel, no bigger than medium contour, sporter ok. NOT a 22".
-street price under $600

Whatever I decide, it will be used for varmints, maybe deer under 150 yards, and will most likely be in .243 win, 260 rem, 7mm-08, or like caliber. I may replace the stock, but it will be bedded regardless.

I was inspired by the Weatherby Sub-moa G2 I saw at my local Bass Pro. It was $450. Anyone toy with one of these?

Any help would be great. Thanks all!

-Mega

The Weatherby Sub-MOA is hard to beat for what you want.

I have not seen one that would not shoot with most ammo and with a little searching for the
best ammo they will shoot well under 1 MOA.

The price is great and they are a good base to build on if you wanted to later on.

J E CUSTOM

I was thinking the Weatherby Vanguard, and then you mentioned it yourself.
I own a few, and I'd go that way in a heartbeat.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.