Advice on an accurate "carrying rifle" (sub $600)

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by megastink, Jan 10, 2012.

1. megastink

megastink Well-Known Member

Hello! I am seeking advice on an inexpensive rifle that I can mount a scope on, throw on my back, and go hunting. I hunt some rugged terrain here in eastern Pa, so this gun will get tossed around a bit. I am looking for the following features:

-Accurate (I shoot Hornady factory ammo)
    -lightweight (7.5#max)
    -24" barrel, no bigger than medium contour, sporter ok. NOT a 22".
    -street price under $600

Whatever I decide, it will be used for varmints, maybe deer under 150 yards, and will most likely be in .243 win, 260 rem, 7mm-08, or like caliber. I may replace the stock, but it will be bedded regardless.

I was inspired by the Weatherby Sub-moa G2 I saw at my local Bass Pro. It was $450. Anyone toy with one of these?

Any help would be great. Thanks all!

-Mega

2. feelinducky

feelinducky Well-Known Member

I'd look at the Weatherby.

3. Tikkamike

Tikkamike Well-Known Member

I know you said no 22" barrels but I would push you pretty hard toward a Tikka T3 or a Sako A7, the sako may run over budget though unless you find a great deal. but the Tikka is a steal of a deal, they shoot awesome, are very light and come with scope rings so that saves you yet another $50, if you are absolutly against it Look at Savage

4. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

The Weatherby Sub-MOA is hard to beat for what you want.

I have not seen one that would not shoot with most ammo and with a little searching for the
    best ammo they will shoot well under 1 MOA.

The price is great and they are a good base to build on if you wanted to later on.

J E CUSTOM

5. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

Just to add to your responces so you have more perspectives. The weatherby Vanguard or the Tikia T3 are the best choices. Just like everyone else said.

6. Dr. Vette

Dr. Vette Well-Known Member

I was thinking the Weatherby Vanguard, and then you mentioned it yourself.
    I own a few, and I'd go that way in a heartbeat.