Advice on a new long range scope

AZlongrangehunting

Hi, I have been looking into getting some new glass for my rifle. Primary purpose is for long range hunting deer elk antelope possibly black bear; but i will also use this for long range target for practice and fun. The gun it will be mounted to is a savage 111 trophy hunter XP 7mm Rem Mag

My price range isn't very high but I'm looking for something quality that will get the job done well.

Initially i was looking into the Nikon Black X1000 6x24 MOA but... it is 2NDFP and I'm probably looking for a FirstFP so I'm able to properly adjust for elevation and windage at any given range.

I've been looking into the Vortex PST as well... my primary question is between the GEN1 and GEN2.
I see they have minute differences and relatively similar quality in glass from what i understand correct me if I'm wrong please. Is the Gen2 truly worth the money above the cost of the Gen1? i believe both would suffice my needs well though.

I do not believe the HST is available in FFP any other suggestions or opinions? my bias is towards FFP a in the range of magnification power listed 5 to 25 and in MOA

Realistically I'm more comfortable spending 650 over 1000 as I've been dumping money at loading equipment.

I would look at this.
https://www.opticsplanet.com/burris-veracity-3x-15x-50-free-fullfield-ii-3-9x42-riflescope.html
I've moved away from anything over 3 x on the low end for hunting. I've had to many bad experiences with it. And been finding I don't need as much zoom as I thought to shoot the ranges a hunting rifle will shoot.

i was a little concerned if i do travel back home to Maine for short range shooting at that power but this primarily will be for long ranges in arizona and for target 1000+ and i question if the 14-15x power is good enough.. im not an expert but was thinking along the lines of the more help i can get seeing my exact point im aiming the better?

with your budget I would consider the sightron S111 6-24x50. Hard to find a better scope in that price range. Good glass. Excellent tracking. At that price point you are getting a scope that in other brands would cost quite a bit more. I for sure would go Sightron over Vortex any day. You can Usually get them online around $800 and sometimes cheaper here in the classifieds.

I like Sightron III scopes. I have one a 8-32X56 SFP for target shooting. There are reports of issues with the Sightron FFP scopes however. Sightron tends to use thin reticles and when they incorporated that with their first FFP scopes, there were serious issues being able to see the reticle thru magnification ranges.
For Burris - Just make sure it is a true MOA reticle. Some of their lower priced ones like Veracity do not have MOA reticles. They are bullet drop compensating reticles. BDC reticles and FFP do not work well together. Could be why Opticsplanet has that good deal on them.
Vortex has a new scope this year that is receiving good reviews. I think it would be a good fit for the Savage Trophy Hunter and it has a better price point than the PST scopes. (I use both PST scopes also.)
The new scope is the Diamondback Tactical in FFP with a true MOA christmas tree reticle! I would seriously consider this for your price point and type of shooting you plan to do. MSRP for a 6-24x50 is only $500.
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-diamondback-tactical-6-24x50 FFP-riflescope_with_ebr-2c_moa-reticle/reticle
Opticsplanet has them on sale right now for only $399. These scopes were popular when they first came out and people were backordering them.
https://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex...24x50-moa.html?_iv_code=VX-RS-VRTX2-DBK-10028

I have used all the scopes mentioned in this thread. Here is my rating
1) Zeiss v4
2) Sightron SIII
3) Nikon Black
4) PST

I will add a few caveats. I rank the PST low because I had to have 4 scopes to get a good one. If not for that I would place it #2. The Sightron SIII I only rank there with the new zero stop model which seems to be a SFP scope. They do offer a FFP scope but it has no zero stop. If you need zero stop and FFP I would move the Nikon to #2.

I would throw the Ares BTR in the mix. I would place it slightly lower than the Nikon. The BTR has better glass but mushy turrets which I can not stand.

Hi, I have been looking into getting some new glass for my rifle. Primary purpose is for long range hunting deer elk antelope possibly black bear; but i will also use this for long range target for practice and fun. The gun it will be mounted to is a savage 111 trophy hunter XP 7mm Rem Mag

My price range isn't very high but I'm looking for something quality that will get the job done well.

Initially i was looking into the Nikon Black X1000 6x24 MOA but... it is 2NDFP and I'm probably looking for a FirstFP so I'm able to properly adjust for elevation and windage at any given range.

I've been looking into the Vortex PST as well... my primary question is between the GEN1 and GEN2.
I see they have minute differences and relatively similar quality in glass from what i understand correct me if I'm wrong please. Is the Gen2 truly worth the money above the cost of the Gen1? i believe both would suffice my needs well though.

I do not believe the HST is available in FFP any other suggestions or opinions? my bias is towards FFP a in the range of magnification power listed 5 to 25 and in MOA

Realistically I'm more comfortable spending 650 over 1000 as I've been dumping money at loading equipment.
Man it's tough to find a good quality FFP scope that tracks for your price range..
I would recommend checking out a higher end Bushnell, they get really good praise for tracking and having decent glass.
Here's a killer deal on the LRHSI. http://www.gaprecision.net/bushnell-lrhs-4-5-18x44-g2h-illum-1.html
Don't be tempted to go too cheap, take it from me you'll regret it

Also I would agree with the suggestion of the V4 if you are ok with SFP, I have one one and it's pretty impressive for the price. https://redhawkrifles.com/demo-zeiss-conquest-v4-6-24x50-rifle-scope/

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 2 of the Gen2 PSTs that I use on my 2 of my rifles. In my opinion for the money they are about the best. I am by no means brand loyal. In fact these were my first and only Vortex products. I was shooting in production class and looked at every manufacturer that I could in their price range. If you watch for some used ones you can even get a better deal. I bought mine when they first came out and do not regret it a bit.

I used to think more power was needed but I've now moved the other way. Not saying it's not needed but on a hunting rifle that doubles for targets I'd stay on the smaller side. I've also noticed that unless you get into the higher end stuff. You tend to lose some clarity when you get to higher magnification. Something the higher end scope don't seem to do

To me, the scope is ultra important, sell some of your stuff and buy a nightforce nxt, it will hold it's value and they guarantee it. Let's say your scope is a 1/4 moa scope and consistent, which I believe night force are, at 1000 yeards it makes a difference. Nightforce has 100 minutes and that is typically more than most scopes. Depending on the round, you might need to dial. Good luck either way.

D5FE59A9-4933-47C7-B729-0F7FCFE76DDB.png

Midway has pst gen2 3-15x44 on sale right now for $675

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.