advice on 300 WSM loads

RL16 works fabulous up to 180 grain. RL17 with 200 ELDX will get you over 2900 in 24" easily, RL26 is good for me over 180 grain but I still like the RL16 for 180 or less. By using RL16 and RL26 I can pretty much load anything I have. Bought kegs before the crunch came.
What do your loads look like for RL16? I contacted Alliant and they dont have any info, Berger doesn't either. Also, plan to us Federal 210 primers as I have hundreds of them.

Run a ladder and you should find the top end ok. I run 180AB's and they actually have a load for 180PT which is same load data. See attached for similar bullets that you may be using. If you use the ladder process you can find the velocity and pressure that will work for you. There is a 185 Berger hybrid listed which should give you a really good starting point. I just downloaded this from their site moments ago.

Attachments

• Alliant Powder -RL16-Recipe.pdf
    20 KB · Views: 113
I bet I could get to 3400 with the 150s but I found less than half MOA accuracy and didn't want to push the brass
I use Sierra 150 Pro Hunters at times for whitetails and they do pretty good out to 300 accuracy wise, then start to drift a bit. The Pro hunters are good tough bullet and hold up well to velocity I have found.

I'm using 64.0gn of IMR4350 for the 175gn Berger VLD-H for my Tikka T3 Lite. The accuracy is extremely good and performance is proven on elk.

I use RL16 with 178 ELDx's. My load is 63.0 grains in Norma brass with CCI 250 primers. I get 2920 fps out of a 20" barrel with 5" suppressor. I imagine you'd get at least 100 fps more with a 24" barrel. Very accurate, and powerful combo in a short handy rifle.

Smacked the lights out of a heavy Mulie buck in Nov. on the move at 475 yds.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with light for caliber .308 projectiles. Nosler green tip and AB 125gr out of a .308 is lights out. Killed over 20 whitetail and pigs with that combo and some of the wounding is simply ridiculous

Jamiebolseth: satisfied with the 178? Just started some load work up in 26" barrel from Preferred Barrel. Superformance ok but not great, RL16 looks good so far. RL17 fastest so far but not sure I like how hot it is

I ended up using RL23 w. 215s in a short barreled .300WSM with fantastic results. RL19 worked well too, but RL23 seemed to give a bit better speeds, lower ES/SD, and slightly better accuracy.
How many grains? I'm using RL23 and just bought some 215s as well... Trying a new moose load

Butterbean:
RL17 is hard on barrels
I can vouch for that. It killed my OEM 300WSM 700 barrel. Torched in 1250 rounds. I used it 90% of time and throat was so badly eroded not even a save so I put Remage on from Preferred Barrel that so far has been great shooter! If I were to use RL17 again, it would be for a select load that is not shot often at all.

When in Rome do as the Romans do. At the 1000 yard matches most guys run 210vld Berger's with around 61 grains of h4350. Expect 2850fps and very small groups. 4 and 5 inch groups of 10 shots are common with that combo. Should kill just about anything. Still doing 1600fps at 1000 yards with over 1200 foot pounds.
Shep

If I could run them in my SA with max COAL of 2.95 I would in heartbeat but unfortunately pretty much stuck with COAL and bullet weights and ogives that marry up best to my DM and jump that I have.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.