Advantages/Dissavantages of thumbhole stock

Imortal Wombat

Was just wondering about thumbhole stocks. I see quite a few people using them and was just wondering if they are any good, as i am concidering getting a new varmint rifle and was wondering if a thumbhole stock was the way to go?

Thanks in advance, from your friendy Immortal Wombat

I got three thumbhole stocks from Lee Six for some varmit rifles. Didn't get them because one was better just wanted something different. Well good luck

Hi wombat.

I have always been leery of thumbhole stocks because my hands are smaller than the average hand. The stocks I have held were comfortable but they put my hand in an awkward position to reach the trigger correctly.

I have also noticed on the few that I have held that the palm swell is often too prominent and defeats the purpose of helping to relocate your palm consistently.(IMHO) I suppose that if you bought it in a semi finished state that you could modify it to fit you better and then finish it out the rest of the way.

I would also consider how much you will be carrying the gun in the field. If you sling the gun over your shoulder then it won't be any big deal but if you carry it at the grip and the fore end then you may not like the angle of the grip and the top wood rubbing your wrist. This won't matter much if you only carry it from the truck to a near by bench.

Just some things to consider. Do you have a link to the one you are thinking of getting?

Whenever I can, I use a thumbhole stock on any bench gun I shoot. I find them to be very comfortable and help a bit with recoil.

For my walk about hunting rifles, I go with a standard style stock because of speed at taking off the safety. Thumbhole requires removal of hand to reach action.

For any of my offhand/prone shooting, I definitely will use a thumbhole stock if rules allow.

guess that makes my a thumbhole junky.

Jerry

Nice looking stock. I like that the grip is on the thin side compared with their other stocks. I still caution you on the distance from the front of the hole to the face of the trigger.

Go get your most comfortable rifle and hold it as if you were shooting it. If you are going to bench shoot then sit at a table. Grip the rifle as to do dry fire practice. Now gave some one mark the web of the thumb and index finger as far to the rear as it will go without moving your hand. Measure the distance from this mark to the center of where your finger contacts the trigger.

The distance from the front of the hole to the trigger should not exceed this measurement because with a bridge over the hole (the part that makes it a hole in the first place) you can not move your hand forward without shifting your grip around the side of the stock. This is not what I would want but I'm not paying for the gun.
I would want the stock to fit just right OR I would get a stock that gives me a better choice on hand movement.

Just my thoughts. Use what helps and pitch the rest. Mostly be happy with your purchase.

Ive been using a HS precision thumbhole sporter now for a few years, i love it, it is superb, i like the possition of the grip far better than any other type of stock, i got used to straight pistol grips in the army and a normal stocj feels alien nowadays, for deliberate shooting a thumbhole is good, its also usable on short range quick snap shooting but takes a little practice. I can email pics if any one wants to see em.. Pete

Pete
I would love it if you would post them for myself and others to see.

Can you post a picture with a shot of a ruler laid over the trigger and hole area. I'm a ruler nut when it comes to photos.

Thanks for the offer.

Wombat, Please report your findings. I agree with pete that you will find a "more" horizontal grip a pleasure to shoot (as long at its not to vertical.)

Only got three at the time
084667.jpg

061467.jpg

061473.JPG

but have two more stocks waiting to be fitted.For a bolt they work great but the one I had on my Ancore was ackward,kinda hard to get your thumb out and cock the hammer
confused.gif

[ 08-15-2004: Message edited by: Mach V ]

Mach that lower picture is very cool. Didn't I see that same gun in the picture section near the back of a varmint hunters magazine about a year or more back?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts