Adidas Terrex Free Hiker Gore-Tex Hiking Shoes???

These are not what you want to be hauling a critter out with, they have zero support due to the "sock like upper" and won't plant your foot on the sole for any kind of side hilling. They also offer zero protection over the top of your foot as a result of that soft upper. They are comfy for straight, on trail hiking without any weight, but that is pretty much it. I had some for a while as daily wear shoes and they did that well enough.

The Terrex Swift line is much more substantial, but is still going to be a bit light for packing critters out. They are comparable to a lot of the popular Salomon boots.

Last edited:
These are not what you want to be hauling a critter out with, they have zero support due to the "sock like upper" and won't plant your foot on the sole for any kind of side hilling. They also offer zero protection over the top of your foot as a result of that soft upper. They are comfy for straight, on trail hiking without any weight, but that is pretty much it. I had some for a while as daily wear shoes and they did that well enough.

The Terrex Swift line is much more substantial, but is still going to be a bit light for packing critters out. They are comparable to a lot of the popular Salomon boots.
I should've added that my current boots are mid top Salomon GTXs and I really like those. They provided decent support hauling out a pronghorn couple years back.

Thank you for the detailed reply. That's what I wanted to know.

⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️ This. Real boots = Asolo, Crispi, Danner, Hanwag, Kenetrek, Lowa, Zamberlan, and a bunch more. The list are just the ones I have. Yes, I have a boot "issue"….. Any company that makes sporting equipment is not in that group. Imo ymmv

I have 3 pairs of gortex salomons..
Awesome hiking lightweight boots....
Last year hiked 60 miles....year before 50........snow..mud..rain..even city streets during the winters....
+2... have had a couple pairs of the 4D's and they are good for everything up to, but not including a heavy pack out. Too flexible for steep terrain and a heavy load... good for everything else.

HIKING BOOT RULE #1-> If it fits well and protects your feet from rocks and weather then it is good.
RULE #2 -> If it is expensive buy it anyway. Your feet are worth it!

I've got a pair of older Terex GT shoes (low top) and I've really like them, but, you have to know their limitations, and packing any moderate load is beyond it. They have a place in my hunting gear closet though. With a day pack, water and snacks, you can go hard and fast for scouting without getting worn out. They are good even off trail, just not in really rough terrain, and they will keep your feet dry from morning dew. Lighter shoes make a huge difference in fatigue level. If you can go light, do it.

I've got a pair of older Terex GT shoes (low top) and I've really like them, but, you have to know their limitations, and packing any moderate load is beyond it. They have a place in my hunting gear closet though. With a day pack, water and snacks, you can go hard and fast for scouting without getting worn out. They are good even off trail, just not in really rough terrain, and they will keep your feet dry from morning dew. Lighter shoes make a huge difference in fatigue level. If you can go light, do it.
I agree with you. I have a pair of Under Armour Valsettes and they are light with good traction and are a tall top with goos ankle support. You can go light and cover terrain but they lack in the load carrying department

Knowing your terrain I think is a big factor too. I had a pair of the Adidas AX3's I think it was at the time and decided to go scouting off trail. Ended up getting shanked by a yucca on the inside of the foot, it went straight through the shoe and my sock and the very tip broke off under the skin of my foot. Not life ending, but you better believe I never wear anything outdoors that doesn't have some kind of leather or other reinforcement on the side. Another vote for Crispi, I have been running the Attiva Mid GTX as a replacement for my last pair of Adidas Swifts. They offer similar support and I wore them on a section hike of the JMT carrying about 45lbs for ten days with no issues, but they definitely haven't lasted as long as my other Crispis.