Arc'teryx Leaf for Hike-in Hunting

27 Gap

Hi All,

Looking at getting into sheep hunting and as a result -- or I guess a benefit of the new venture -- I'm looking at new clothing systems; specifically, the Arc'teryx Leaf stuff.

I have the Alpha SV and Alpha SV Bib for bad weather: they're indestructible. I'd probably carry them in for base camp/if the weather looked like it could go real wrong.

Specifics:

Alpha Bib Pants (Multicam)
Alpha LT Jacket (Multicam)
Cold WX Hoodie (Multicam)
Naga Hoodie (Crocodile)
Atom Lt Hoodie (Crocodile)
Atom Lt Pants (Crocodile)
Cold WX Base Layer Bottom (Crocodile)
Cold WX Base Layer Top (Crocodile)

The issue I've had with shell tops is that when you're moving a lot and you're not getting rained/snowed on the sweat and heat outweigh any benefits. I haven't had that problem with shell bottoms because the heat/moisture can escape up. So I'm thinking the Bib pant over the Atom pants for warmth, but then being able to switch between the Atom + Alpha shell jacket (Multicam on top) and the Cold WX Hoodie depending on the "weather". Naga hoodie and Cold WX base layer for warmth.

Thoughts? Anyone have bad experiences with this stuff (I saw the other post, anecdotal is fine, I don't need receipts)?

Looking at the EXO bag in Multicam/FYI.

Tried to post a link to the products above but site thought it was spam.

Thanks, All --

I'll try and lay out my methodology for sheep hunting clothing as best I can. I look at my gear system in two phases. 1) I want light weight and quick drying materials for hiking (which you'll do a lot of, especially up north) and 2) I look at light weight insulation pieces that will keep me warm when I stop to glass, have lunch, first thing in the morning outside the tent, etc and also a bomb/water proof outer layer (your Arteryx would be perfect here).

Typically when hiking, I'll wear a durable pant that has lots of vents to dump heat and can handle the rocks and such (i.e. Kuiu Attack, Beyond Clothing A5 or similar). On top I'll wear a T-Shirt and a light pullover. Limiting the amount of clothes you wear when hiking keeps the others dry when you really need them; when you stop.

The last couple years I have utilized Beyond Clothing Base Layers and Pullover(s), Stone Glaciers Grumman Goose Down Pants and Jacket for insulation and either Kuiu Pro or Attack Pants and a Peloton 240 outer and that setup was fairly bulletproof for "my" characteristics. I also carry rain gear in my pack for when it rains. They claim most of it's breathable but I've yet to find one that didn't sweat me to death when I'm moving around. This year I plan to try and Krytek Altitude line up. I'm hoping once this virus situation absolves and they'll let us go outside that I can get some hours in it to see how it works for me.

All that said, there are tons of options out there for what you're willing to spend on Arcteryx. Try and get something you like and feel confident in and then spend time in it so you know what to expect BEFORE you get on the hunt.

Thanks @CLP; great feedback. What I'm hearing is (and let me know if I've missed the mark here) the Arc'teryx stuff is great, but the system is probably too warm and the pants probably aren't rigid enough for scrambling up mountains, which is something I haven't considered.

What did you think of the Beyond Clothing A5 pants? Any drawback there? I think the Arc'teryx Leaf comparable is the Assault AR which look like they have a really lightweight foam kneepad, which seems like it could be useful.

Are you already issued this gear? If not you are going to be paying double the cost of the same gear that isnt Leaf. Unless you really need the loop patch for unit patches you can likely save half your money but getting the same items in regular Arcteryx gear in earth tones. I have both the Atom LT and Alpha SV tops. They are awesome and designed for this type of use. The LT layers really well with the SV when its rainy and your not moving a much as well. I am not sure bibs make sense in this case. I would look at the SV bottoms because you will be able to put them on and off without taking your jacket off. Also as you said the legs dont need to breath as much so I would take the weight hit for the added durability.

I just use my old orcs industry kit. pcu Level 5 has been plenty, but I try to keep clothing weight down, or rather pack volume. I don't have them in multicam, since my issued ones where the grey. I carry a gortex top and bottom for the wet, but usually only use it when not moving. The only thing I hate more than freezing is being too hot. I lol'd at the not needing receipts comment.

Last edited:
Broke down bought Kuiu this last year...wore really nice in North idaho weather...albeit wasn't as extremely cold as,it had been in past years....liteweight..wind proof...hooded..zippered armpits....coats and pants were the new axis hybrid...
Wasn't wishing for anything more...even the deer let themselves be seen........

Still have my old LL Bean Gore-Tex hunting jacket and pants for cold/wet weather. No real reason to change until something TRULY revolutionary in a waterproof, breathable membrane comes along.

But the Arc-Terryx Leaf clothing has been utilized by special forces operators so it is VERY well vetted.
HOWSOMEVER... "Dead Bird" (Arc-Terryx) clothing is VERY expensive.

Eric B.

Last edited:
I have some LEAF pants with the knee pads in them. I thought I'd be taking them out but they are awesome. Amazing what a little padding on the ol' caps does! They do add a little insulation there so they are warmer in the heat than my previous LEAF pants. As to breathability in rainwear, the KUIU stuff is great. I sweat a lot and I've been amazed at how little moisture build-up I've had even on significant climbs. Match the durability to the weight you are going to carry. Chugach is a good compromise if you're not busting a lot of brush. Never used the LEAF rainwear. It's probably great as well. Next-to-skin? Merino. I've gone nine days straight in merino and it still didn't stink. KUIU has not been my favorite here. Good luck! Outfitting with new gear is always fun!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.