Adding new calibers to the gun safe

Donnie Spradling

I am adding some new calibers to my gun safe. I hunt mostly whitetail deer but I want to add guns that would be able to take multiple big game species in North America. These are the calibers I am looking to add. 270 WSM, 280 AI, 6.5 x 284 Norma, 6.5 300 weatherby mag., 300 WSM, and 300 weatherby mag. What is everyone's thoughts on these calibers on North American game and long range hunting.

Get 1 of each and you'll be plenty happy...until you decide that since you've come this far you might as well get one each of about 10 more, then you'll have to build a new house with a gun room that will fit everything....so the question you should really be asking is how big should your next house be...haha
On a serious note I have been eyeballing the 280AI myself.

I am adding some new calibers to my gun safe. I hunt mostly whitetail deer but I want to add guns that would be able to take multiple big game species in North America. These are the calibers I am looking to add. 270 WSM, 280 AI, 6.5 x 284 Norma, 6.5 300 weatherby mag., 300 WSM, and 300 weatherby mag. What is everyone's thoughts on these calibers on North American game and long range hunting.
If you look at it like guns being tools, then it can help narrow it down. If not, everyone is just going to post what they like with bias and no consideration to what you need.

Things like, bullet selection type would go against a 270, as there's more and better bullet selections just in BC alone compared to other diameter bullets. Then again, it might not matter to you. Barrel erosion rate, recoil considerations, and general ballistic considerations given a application I think should be deciding factors, and is usually my starting point before worrying about gun component and optics.

Pretty sure they will each kill every thing in N.A.
There's a lot of overlap in realistic performance so not really sure what to say without a specific purpose, weight, etc
Personally I'd pick one and make it what u want

I have decided I'm going to buy all six calibers just wanted to get any input on what the long range capabilities are on these calibers if anybody had any info on them

Recoil is not an issue for me at all I will be reloading for everything except for the 6.5 300 weatherby mag I have heard that it is very finicky. I am planning on a Montana DIY Elk hunt in the next few years and will be taking one of these rifles with me. They will all be used on whitetail out to 500 yards. I will also be using them on black bear out to 200 yards on bear weights between 200 and 450 pounds.

The only one I worry about reloading is the 6.5 300 weatherby I have heard from some reloaders who are alot more experienced than I am say it's really a finicky cartridge to reload.

the 6mm/6.5mm are the only two calls i dot have from 22-30cal and i have had a 300 wsm and got rid of it for my 300 weatherby, so I would go with 6.5-284, or if you are a speed demon and want to push the heavy for cals i would go 6.5-300weatherby, or a 26 nosler

This was my thinking....
300 Weatherby/Elk and Bear
300 WSM/ Elk and Bear
280 AI/ Elk, Mule Deer, Whitetail
6.5 284 Norma/ Mule Deer, Pronghorn, Whitetail
6.5 300 Weatherby Mag/ Mule Deer, Pronghorn, Whitetail
257 Weatherby Mag or 270 WSM/ Mule Deer, Pronghorn, Whitetail
With all of these capable of shooting out to 500 yards

Everyone you picked out is a winner in the hunting and LR departments, with some dependent on the barrel twist and bullets selected. I've owned a .270WSM before and it had a 10t, it shot the 130/140gn great, 150's not so great. Maybe just that rifle. With a 8t, 26" barrel it could easily push the 170gn Bergers to 3100fps. It and the 280AI, could handle anything the 7mmRemMag could, within reason. Now if the 7mag is set up with a 8t and pushing 180/195, all bets are off. The 270 doesn't have that kind of artillery and the 280AI would be a little behind, but not by much.
The 6.5-284 Norma is a splendid cartridge for deer and LR. I have had one now for over 12 years and every deer I have "turned it loose on" has laid down and waited for a ride in my truck. It performs effortlessly with mild recoil and is easy to load for.
I think the 6.5-300 Bee would be great fun. Sure, it's a barrel burner if you're getting it for competition but for hunting, it's liable to last as long as the others. It would be an absolute devastating lazer with 156gn Bergers!
I shoot a .300WinMag., so the .300WSM and .300 Bee are on either side of this. Can't go wrong with either for LR hunting. 10t will do everything you're needing to do probably but I got a 28", 9t Pac-Nor just because. Either of your .30 cal choices set up this way would be a force to be reckoned with, IMHO.
Good luck, I know you're gonna have fun!

There is a lot of overlap in those calibers. That isn't a criticism at all. We all like what we like and it's fun to try new things. Some level of redundancy or ability to "stand-in" for another rifle is also a good thing.

I am really at the point where I don't need anymore calibers, and in fact, cutting back would make a lot of sense from a handloading perspective. In fact, I have owned some of my rifles for a couple years or more and still haven't worked up loads for them.

Sometimes it becomes more about having a rifle that is useful to a specific situation, such as a lever action 30-30, rather than the need for another caliber.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.