Action screw torque

timberbuck

On a two screw action like a rem. M700 when using a synthetic stock with aluminum blocks/cradle is it best to torque both action screws to the same setting or set the tang screw at a lower torque?

What is your opinion. It seems both are popular methods.

My new Remington 700 long range with B&C M40 stock came from the factory with front screw about 60 inch lbs and rear tang around 45 inch lbs.

Seems most on this site torque both evenly from what I have seen.

Thanks

... is it best to torque both action screws to the same setting or set the tang screw at a lower torque?

What is your opinion.

IMO, uneven torque is always a bad idea. Why your rifle had uneven torque is beyond my understanding. The object behind torquing action screws in the first place is two fold. 1. be certain that they are tight enough to remain in place., 2. ensure that stresses on the action are consistent over its entire length. If your rifle didn't have bedding blocks or other additional support it seems to me that the stock between the tang and the bottom metal may have been slightly compressed after initial assembly and over a period of time assumed a new dimension at that point of the stock thereby affecting its influence on the torque. Just a guess ....

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.