HS STOCK TORQUE

G

FT LBS vrs inch lbs on a torque lbs I JUST GOT A HS STOCK and they recomend 65 inch lbs I THINK THATS TO MUCH IN FT LBS COULD SOMEONE HELP ME WITH THIS
confused.gif

Marlow,
The advice you got is correct,65 inch pounds is the recommended torque for your stock. I have 4 HS Precision stocks and torque them all to 65 INCH POUNDS. Foot pounds is alot more force, you would break or strip the screws way before 65 foot pounds.
Wayne

That's 5.4 foot-pounds. You probably need to buy a wrench that reads in inch-pounds. You should be able to find one at an auto parts store.

You can buy a pre-set 65in/lb torque wrench from Brownells. It is a very small "T" handle wrench and it works great for your rifles. It can also easily fit into any tool or acc. box.
VH

Look up torque wrench or Seekonk torque wrench in the archives and you will find more info. I wouldn't buy the standard 65/65 wrench, can't loosen nuts off. Get the 65/80 wrench so you can back nuts off that are set at 65. Also info on torque screwdrivers.

The conversion factor for foot-pounds to inch-pounds is 1 foot pound-force = 12 inch pound-force

I barreled a .340 wby on a rem 700 long action. The shilen # 4 taper likes factory 250 gr. Nosler partitions, but didn't really settle down until i incrementally raised the action screw torque to 85 inch lbs. It improved from 1+ moa to 5/8 moa. A ft lb torque wrench is not precise enough. If you have to tho, it rounds off to 7 ft lbs. I don't know why the higher torque helped. It may damp better under sharp recoil?

Last edited:
Take a look in Sears they sell inch lb. torque wrenches. They are 3/8" drive and go from 25 to 250 inch lb.

You might be able to order them online. The Sears # is 44593, they run them on sale once in a while.

Frank D

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.