Torque on factory Sendero action?

Casey Napier

Does anyone know what inch/pnd torque I should be putting on my Sendero action. Years ago I was told 65 inch/pnds, and that is what I have been using. I read a thread somewhere on this forum the other day, that stated 65 inch/pnds may crack the factory bottom metal. What do y'all use on your actions that are set on pillars or aluminum bedding blocks?
Thanks
RidgeRooster

I've been using 65 in/lbs on high quality synthetics and pillar bedded stocks for many years without incident.

I would not use that much torque on wood stocks or flimsy plastic stocks.

The only time I broke a Remington factory floorplate using 65 inch pounds was when I had the magazine box installed bound up, the box didn't seat correctly and I broke the floorplate... this was my error and I don't believe it would have mattered how little torque I used, the floorplate would have broke. I got a little lesson in double checking over that issue.

CatShooter

Good to know you're about and well (assumed), take care.

Catshooter,
Good to see you back, hope you are well. I intend to try a few different torque settings sometime. Believe that 65 inch pounds might be good but why wouldn't 55 or 45 perhaps be as good or better? Handy to torque tactical rings and stock bolts at the same setting but why?

By the way, Leupold is going to bring out a LOT of new optical toys in 2007 since it is their 100th anniversary...

I did a test on torque setting earlier this year. I tried one test just using feel from a small wrench. The rifle shot good. The torque setting was close to 30" pounds. I took the same rifle and increased it to 40, shot the same size groups. I increased it again to 50, still performed the same. Next i went to 60, and still again the same groups, (all are running in the .2 size at 100yds) Then i got crazy and increased to 75, the group size started to flare, two shots in one hole and allways a flier. Last test was 85, now the groups were 1.5" and scattering. Depending on the action material and bottom metal, i set rifles from 45 to 60" pounds.

Had too much time one afternoon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dave

This sounds like the issues I have been having with a rifle, the two and one. Everytime I rework the rifle, I still end up with two and one. I want to duplicate your test myself. You may have found something there!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.