Action Bedding At Home

Thanks for the info everyone. What are your thoughts on only spot bedding the recoil lug area like they show on of gunwerks' youtube vids?
I purchased a couple of the 2 oz. bedding kits from Stocky's Stocks for $15 each. I was able to bed the recoil lug area on 7 different rifles with just one of the kits (again, this was bedding just the recoil lug area on custom stocks). It made a tremendous difference with tightening up my groups (I was having some poi shifts prior to bedding), especially with my larger magnum rifles (i.e. 338 RUM and 300 RUM).

These kits come with pretty much everything you need: 1. epoxy (1:1 mix ratio) and gives you about 1 hour work time; 2. release agent with applicators; and 3. latex gloves. I had to provide my own painters tape, and white vinegar to wipe away any excess epoxy during the application process. It was set-up well within 12 to 15 hours, and I let it cure another 3 to 7 days before resuming shooting. The kit suggests 24 - 48 hours.

The following pics were of the best results after I did an OCW ladder, followed by a bullet seating ladder at 100 yards (3 shot groups). As I mentioned previously, the overall results were fantastic.

Attachments

• 300 RUM.jpg
    300 RUM.jpg
    803.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 338 RUM.jpg
    338 RUM.jpg
    665.4 KB · Views: 101
A little late to he party here fellas, but I've often wondered how you guys get such a clean and defined line at the end of the barrel pad without having a mill?

I put a piece of masking tape in the barrel channel where I wanted the bedding to stop . then all I had to do was take the tape off and the bedding came with it . it made a nice clean edge .

Great idea Jim, thanks for sharing.
I use modeling clay. I place it just in front of the chamber area in the stock. Kinda the thickness of a pencil. Then I place the barreled action in the stock and tighten screws down and let it rest for a few minutes. Remove barreled action. I trim the action side of the clay with an exacto knife so it's nice and square. Use tip of knife to add bits you trim to any places that need it. Apply masking tape, release agent and bedding compound. After curing remove barreled action and dig out clay with exacto knife and clean up bedding with same knife. Patients is key trust me I'm very impatient!!! The quality of the finished product is dependent on your patience from the start!! I like to put 4 layers of electric tape on the front and bottom of the recoil lug. Just gives some room! And it's how an old time gunsmith taught me. I'm not sure if it's right or wrong but I trusted his word on it!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.