Ackley Improved Are Not A Problem!

DoneNOut

First go at the Ackley recently, and ya'll probably sick of hearing about it, but anyway here is what I came to discover. For instance my .2443 AI...

It's as laser beam accurate in .243 form as it is in AI form. I shot 25rnds, reloaded those 25 with 2gr powder increase and got 150fps more with AI. 3400fps to 3550fps. That 3550 is conservative too. I could push harder, but with the primers looking so good after firing at 3550, I'm good! SO, in my grand scheme of things with this rig, I know what the fired brass will become and how to load it, now I just shoot it like a .243 until the day comes for the second and subsequent loads. It's like the gift that keeps on giving! So fun! Its like two guns in one! :p

I think a lot of consternation comes from the "fireforming" "hassle". Well, my fireforming will be done while out havng fun with it and utilizing the components for what they are designed for. No wasting anything and keep the cream of wheat in the cupboards!

Ok, till next time. Gonna run some 105 VLDs through it and you know what? I'm gonna come back and report it! 🤩🤘

88 Hammers with RL17 bumped to 45gr. Clean bore shot marked. "CB" Seems the cleanliness of the bore makes more flyer potential than "cold bore" since every shot was shot with a cold barrel. THOSE 105 VLD TRGT BERGERS! WHOOOO HOOO! I decided to try that grip technique where one keeps their thumb riding along the same side as bolt. Not a fan. I'm sticking to what I know. LOL.
LDTGT.jpg

This Crosstac bag is really nice for hasty positional shooting! Weighs nearly nothing.
thumbnail_image6.jpg

Tomorrow if that dirt is dry its on to the 800-1200 with those 105 VLDs!
thumbnail_image8.jpg

Giddy as a 12yr old boy with his new gun!
thumbnail_image5 (1).jpg

I couldn't agree more! You must have that usb cable out again!
I noticed a big difference between the chamber being headspaced with the parent cartridge go/no go and with the AI gauge. The AI go gauge is the same length as the parent no go, and the no go is .004" longer than that… the reason is so that a gunsmith can completely clean a parent chamber with an AI reamer.
When chambering my new barrel blanks I started setting headspace with the parent gauges, and to the minimum tolerance at that (0.004" length difference between go and no go) so that when fireforming new brass I would minimize case stretch. This allowed me to develop a fire form load that wasn't jammed into the lands, and I found that accuracy was excellent!
I also found that the pressure in these fire form loads "acted" as if the case volume had already been increased to AI, but obviously I could only fit as much powder as the unfired parent case would hold.
The only negative characteristic I could attribute to fireform loads was a slightly increased velocity extreme spread.

I LOVE Ackley improved cartridges, 223AI is my favorite, 260AI, 243AI, 22-250AI are all a close second.

I couldn't agree more! You must have that usb cable out again!
I noticed a big difference between the chamber being headspaced with the parent cartridge go/no go and with the AI gauge. The AI go gauge is the same length as the parent no go, and the no go is .004" longer than that… the reason is so that a gunsmith can completely clean a parent chamber with an AI reamer.
When chambering my new barrel blanks I started setting headspace with the parent gauges, and to the minimum tolerance at that (0.004" length difference between go and no go) so that when fireforming new brass I would minimize case stretch. This allowed me to develop a fire form load that wasn't jammed into the lands, and I found that accuracy was excellent!
I also found that the pressure in these fire form loads "acted" as if the case volume had already been increased to AI, but obviously I could only fit as much powder as the unfired parent case would hold.
The only negative characteristic I could attribute to fireform loads was a slightly increased velocity extreme spread.

I LOVE Ackley improved cartridges, 223AI is my favorite, 260AI, 243AI, 22-250AI are all a close second.
Too bad my 7mm-08 AI reamer is 4 months out for that Benchmark blank!

Man those wait times can get rough! Barrel blanks are most of a year, reamers are 3 to 6 months… and who knows for actions, stocks chassis etc!