accurizing savage rifle

tribalman

Hi everyone.

My question, is there any real benefit to accurizing a new savage rifle. Back ground. I purchased a model 116 in 7mm rem mag. My main duty for this gun will be whitetail deer hunting. Most people say, you only need to shoot a 6in group at 100yds for whitetails. I dont believe that and expect higher standards. I will be taking it out tomorrow to shoot for the first. I expect to shoot on average between 100 and 300 yds. Ive been shooting and hunting for over 20 yrs and hope to extend my range for hunting in the future.
thanks for any advice.

Hi everyone.

My question, is there any real benefit to accurizing a new savage rifle. Back ground. I purchased a model 116 in 7mm rem mag. My main duty for this gun will be whitetail deer hunting. Most people say, you only need to shoot a 6in group at 100yds for whitetails. I dont believe that and expect higher standards. I will be taking it out tomorrow to shoot for the first. I expect to shoot on average between 100 and 300 yds. Ive been shooting and hunting for over 20 yrs and hope to extend my range for hunting in the future.
thanks for any advice.

I would not except less than 1 MOA (1'' @ 100 yards). Mose savages are capable of that or better
with the right ammo.

A 6'' group at 100 yards could very well be a miss at 200 yards.

If the rifle does not do better than around 1'' then It would pay to have it checked out buy a
good Gunsmith for his opinion as to what it should have done to it.

Remember, A 1'' group at 100 yards can become a 3'' group under hunting conditions and a 6''
group---well?

J E CUSTOM

i think it takes 5 things to make an accurate rifle....

good light trigger
stock bedded correctly
great scope
handloaded ammo
and keep the barrel clean between shots is the most important

My question, is there any real benefit to accurizing a new savage rifle.

Yes, in my opinion, but my definition of accurizing and yours may differ. If the rifle meets/exceeds your expectations in current form than maybe not.

6" groups at 100 yards? I'd poor water on my head if my hair was on fire...just about as fast as I'd tear into a rifle that shot that bad!:D

Thanks for the advice, tomorrow I will get to the range and see what it does. I will be shooting factory round fora while. But I'm shooting HSM with Berger vld 168 gr. rounds. When I do reload, it will be the same bullet. I only mentioned the 6 in group at 100 yds, cuz I had some tell me that was good for deer hunting. I actually had a REM 700 in 30-06 shoot like that. After disappointment I sold the gun.

I was on similar situation about 10 years ago with my Savage 111F in .300 Win Mag. My set up (factory stock except for RB trigger) at the time yields .500"-.750" at 100 yards with factory ammo. My gunsmith said "let's re-visit that idea when it is time to re-barrel". gun)

Ok, got some range time in. The gun shot well. I can see area of improvement, that are available. A muzzle break to start with. Overall the gun is impressive. I averaged 1 moa for right out of the box. More range time in the future and I think I'm gonna be extremely happy with this gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.