Accuracy of T/C Encore in .204. ???

marchboom

Everyone I talk to who shoots a .204 loves it and they say, "Just get one!".

I have a T/C Encore and would like to get a .204 barrel. BUT, just how accurate is the Encore for long distances? Would I be better going with a bolt gun?

My first long range test, 500 yds, produced 2 - 5 shot groups @ 6" dia.
Shot off a Harris bi-pod, standard reticle, using hold-over for both windage and elevation with a 10-15 mph quartering wind. Hornady 40 gr., 26" bull barrel

I bought a barrel in .204 for my Encore and it would not group any thing well. I sent it back to T/C and they said it was out of spec and sent me a new one which did not group as good as the first. I traded it on a bolt gun. In all fairness I must say I`ve had alot of T/C barrels over the years and these are the only 2 that were real sour. They were amoung the first out also.

I have an Encore with a custom 300 mag barrel that will shoot with about any factory bolt guns chambered in that caliber to 1000yds , a good barrel is a must all the Prohunter barrels I've delt with were fairly decient quality , not like a Match Grade Machine or Bullberry but pretty **** good for a mass produced barrel. I've had a couple problems with TC factory barrel through the years but the were alwayts fix quickly and correctly or replaced

Personaly I'd get a custom barrel , have the trigger worked and the forend bedded and you will be ready for small groups.

I had the encore in 25/06 & 204 I coultnt get them to shoot I had good glass on them factory or hand loads the 204 I countnt get it under 3/4 inch groupes I sold it to a buddy that wasnt as picky as me. He loves it killed acouple lope with it.

204 Encore

I have a factory 204 Encore barrel and there is nothing wrong with it. I have a light weight trigger and that makes all the difference.

I'd say about 90% of the time a good trigger will solve most of the accuracy issues with the Encore , add a tight hinge pin and a bedded forend and you will be supprised that its a factory fun.

I shoot and reload / Thompson center encore pro .204 / HAND loading my custom rounds with 25 GRAINS OF Benchmark hodgdon powder . This gun will shoot a quarter inch group off the bench at 100 yards with 39 grain sierra blitzking bullet. Digital caliper used for measurement I can measure a 3 shot group at .234 inches. Keep a close eye on you O.A.L. 2.256. I can include a whole lot of very useful reloading information needed To make your thompson center encore pro ss 204 as accurate as mine. It is very capable of shooting under half inch at 100 yards And under 1 inch at 200 yards. Are you as a person scope 6 by 24 power Black diamond model.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.