I agree. My buddy is finishing up his 260 LRP and needed to do a little shooting and working on LR solutions. I started shooting those balloons and couldn't stop. LOL. The little bullets sure let you know when you have not correctly adjusted for wind. At 500ish a 3 mph wind would change and shift POI 1 MOA/IPHY. That is 5 inches and those balloons are max 7 inches. I still have work to do but I am getting better. The 6.5 makes it way too easy. Wind is not an issue at that range.

What I am learning is that 30 degree plus wind needs to be calculated. Even if the wind is 1 to 2 it needs to be accounted for. On one side of the old road the wind was L to R and on the other side it was R to L. There are draws on both sides and the wind was pushing up the mountain.

I am trying to get into the 1,000 prairie dog club with a 6.5-284 that I built. Great idea on the balloons, I will need to do that with some wind indicators so I can learn to read the wind better. I get bored at the range and have to deal with all the people, especially when working up loads with a crony. Enjoyed the video. What is a 260 LRP?

Sorry, 260 Remington in a Savage 12 LRP. My 6.5 is a 6.5-284 Norma in a savage.

I can not shoot at a range. It drives me crazy. I used to shoot just rocks for practice in the mountians and paper for load work up. My wife hates shooting rocks so I built some steel targets and went to walmart and picked up some 7" in balloons and string. Now it is a game for us and changes the whole tempo of the day. She loves it and that of course makes for a happy day. LOL.

I have not done anything for wind reading other than study the terrain, use my meter, and shoot for experience. Now I try and guess wind direction and speed without the aid of the meter. Mountain shooting is extremely challenging for me but it is where I hunt so I am trying to get better at it. I actually like having some wind around to educate me. No wind days is just too easy if the shooter does his job.

I am on my third .204 Ruger. I owned a Savage Model 25 but did not like the trigger or the aftermarket Rifle Basix trigger. The magazine was also limiting the seating depth. I was given a Ruger M77 stainless by an exasperated purchaser. It ended up on the rack at Cabelas.

I added a McGowen barrel to a Weatherby Vanguard and that is my current .204 Ruger rifle. It was nitrocarburized and wears a Schuler brake. The JARD trigger it wears is my favorite trigger in my whole rifle collection. I tried the Howa/Vanguard Rifle Basix trigger as well. Anyone want to buy a Rifle Basix trigger for this action?

The most important point I can pass along is that with a Bullseye target camera I can see the groups open up as the barrel fouls. Carbon fouling is a serious issue with small diameter barrels. I use SeaFoam and bronze bushes often. I have worked in the paint industry as a scientist and taught Chemistry so I feel qualified to recommend SeaFoam as a carbon remover. Many years ago when we actually filled out and mailed in order forms, Sinclair sold a product marketed by Mercury outboards that was effective on carbon. GM "Top Engine Cleaner" was also great for barrels but it has been replaced by a less hazardous product. I have tried a number of solvents sold to shooters including KG-1 and Patchout Wipeout Accelerator (smells like D-limolene). I still like to let Patchout Wipeout sit in the bore after I leave the range to remove copper jacket fouling (ammonia and a detergent) but the Accelerator is not as effective as the xylenes in SeaFoam. My bullets are HBN coated (Hexagonal Boron Nitride) so copper fouling seldom amounts to much.

Attachments

• P1020144.jpg
    P1020144.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 134
Seafoam, really! I never thought of that. I guess why not. I bet it is a good carbon remover. Plus it displaces moisture, so .......win, win

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.