accubond not exiting

Erik Kiser

anybody else having problems with accubonds not exiting deer. two friends that i load for have shot 5 deer and 3 did not have exit wounds. all shots were broadside at ranges of 100, 200, and 415. both were 300 rum with 200 gr ab's. i wouldn't have thought there would be any chance of a 200 lb deer stopping one of these bullets broadside.

I got friend that use those bullet and didnt have any problem.
But they hunt with 300win. The hier vélocity of the ultra will make the bullet mushrooming faster. Did your friend got problème finding their deer?
Gest not. For close shot i better like the partion bullet.
We made some test on a steel plate last summer and the résult were amazing. At 100yrd the 200gr accubond was not passing true But the 180partion was... We test a 243win with 100 partion too. It was going true like butter...The platte was a blade for granit rock cutting.
Did you have any info on the damage the bullet inflick on those deer??
Sins it didnt past true that must be terrific.

the deer are very dead. the farthest one went was 20 yards another went 15 and the other 3 looked like they had a rug snatched out from under them. just worried that if we ever have to track one there won't be much of a blood trail. on a 180-225 lb deer i would expect complete penetration even if you went directly through both shoulders. i think i'll order a box of the nosler e-tips and maybe a box of the barnes triple shocks to see if they have the accuracy to do what we want.

The wife and I have dumped 4 deer and with 7mmRUM with 140AB...two ran two DRT and pass though on all four. The longest was 200 and the closest 85 yards.

I'm hand loading to 3400 fps...BIG wound channels in all 4.

Maybe you need to feed them some more fuel?

I like faster...

I am not surprised about the 100 and 200 yard shots not passing through, but the 415 is a little strange.

Your experiances are normal.

Nosler recomends a MAXIMUM impact velocity of 3100 FPS for these bullets. In my experiance it is lower than that. At extreemly high velocity, these bullets will flatten out conciderably and lose their pass through abilities.

I shot clean through a 1300# bull moose at 650 yards with a 300 RUM and a 200 AB. Starting velocity was 3150 FPS.

Same bullet, same rifle didnt pass through a dall ram @ 360 yards. The ram however dropped in his tracks from the bullet "expending" all of its energy.

If you demand a pass through at short range, try the partition. The design of this bullet will not allow for complete flattening of the bullet on impact. Flat bullets dont pass through well. Long ones (even with a mushroom) pass through much easier. An ACCUBOND hitting at ultra high velocity WILL flatten.

Any pictures of the recovered bullets...or wound channels? The only one I recovered was after shooting through a 6 inch tree @ aver 2900 fps. Found it stuck in another tree and cut it out with a saw...looked like a magazine picture :)

edge.

FRONT.gif

BACK.gif

Last edited:
i wish i had the bullets but the friends that shot the deer just take them directly to a meat processor where they gut, skin and quarter them. kinda kicking myself now for not taking a few minutes to dig them out. i saw your post about shooting that one into a tree and i don't see how a 200 lb deer could stop that bullet even if you took out both shoulders. i think i'll try some x bullets. haven't shot any of the new variants. i used to shoot some 180's out of a 300 wby about 15 yrs ago but i think they have come a long way since those first one's. they did hit awfully hard and would penetrate. the only one i recovered was shot into a hog that was severely quartering to me. shot went in the neck just behind the head, broke one front shoulder and was recovered under the skin on the hindquarters. penetrated somewhere around 36-40 inches and still weighed 165 grains because two petals broke off.

Ok, are you sure that they did not exit?

Last year I shot a buck at 25 yards through the front shoulders from an elevated stand, actually from a hayloft. After gutting the deer I could not find an exit wound and was very disappointed with that performance even though the deer only went about 10 feet.

When skinning the deer we found that the bullet exited the elbow which restored my faith in the Accubond. Since the leg at the elbow does not have a lot of high pressure blood vessels I just did not see the exit.

edge.

I've shot 4 deer with accubonds, 3-.277/140/3000fps impact & 1-.308/200 2650 impact. I recovered 2 of the 140's and 1 200. All 3 from 160 lb dressed deer, 2 quartering, one broadside. All 4 dropped in there tracks, the recovered bullets looked great, I expected pass throughs as I've only recovered 2 Ballistic tips out of about 18 deer, many quartering or a bit more. They are very accurate in my rifles.

i saw your post about shooting that one into a tree and i don't see how a 200 lb deer could stop that bullet even if you took out both shoulders. i think i'll try some x bullets. haven't shot any of the new variants. i used to shoot some 180's out of a 300 wby about 15 yrs ago but i think they have come a long way since those first one's. they did hit awfully hard and would penetrate.

1st: It is easy to see why a 200# deer didnt stop the bullet compared to the tree. Bullets tend to penetrate harder substances better than soft substances. Hard substances dont "give" as much. Ever try and shoot a bullet through a 4" sand bag versus 6" of solid wood? When you launce a bullet at a very high velocity into a deer, it flattens out and LOOSES it's energy and abilities to pass through. Flat bullets dont penetrate, long ones do. It takes weight behind a mushroom to "push" it through. No weight, no pass through. When you exceed the manufactures specs it should be expected to see different results than "normal".

2nd: Barnes makes good bullets. IMHO they are still tough to shoot with any real accuracy in most rifles. Plus, if you hit a hard big bone at a bad angle, the nose pinches shut and they do not open. I have experianced this as well as my cousin. A possible solution might be the partition. These typically "tune" easier than X bullets and will take a severe beating without flattening out (not to be confused with mushrooming), thus causing pass throughs.

Just a though. When a bullet such as an accubongd doesnt expand, it typically means the bullet transfered 100% of its energy upon the game. When I have experianced this and the animal fell down dead, I didnt loose faith in the bullet because it didnt pass through. Pass throughs IMHO are highly over-rated.

Any pictures of the recovered bullets...or wound channels?

This is a 200 AB recovered from my 2007 dall sheep. 360 yards. Very high impact velocity.

What is funny is that I have shot moose with the same load (farther shots) and not recovered any of them. I got pass throughs on my last moose at 650 yards. Harder animal, slower impact velocities, less flattening, more weight behind the mushroom :D

HPIM0751.JPG

Before going to the barnes, stick with nosler and try the E-Tips. I find these to shoot every bit as good as the accubonds and they will have very high weight retension which will drive the bullet through. I shot the 30 cal 180 at over 3450 muzzle velocity at milk jugs and was amazed at the penetration, found the bullet in the seventh jug and 99% weight retension. Mushroom was great also. my two cents.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.