Accubond LONGRANGE 6.5, 142gr performance

Here's some 129's out of 2 elk one at 70 yards one at 200yds. Shot out of 6.5-06 at 3k fps

Attachments

• 5EF7D8D0-3562-4180-85C7-66E917436FF6.jpeg
    5EF7D8D0-3562-4180-85C7-66E917436FF6.jpeg
    970.6 KB · Views: 191
The ABLR being bonded is why I am looking to it as well over the Berger. Although my Son has had good results with his 150gr Bergers out of his 270WSM.
It's just gets a bit annoying having to keep an eye on the hollow point on them to make sure they dont get pinched/bumped closed.

Both were hit heart/ lung area. Both bullets stopped under off side hide.

I have two other recover from elk on similar shots that the front of the bullet fragmented and just the bonded core was on the off side hide with no mushroom

Both were hit heart/ lung area. Both bullets stopped under off side hide.

I have two other recover from elk on similar shots that the front of the bullet fragmented and just the bonded core was on the off side hide with no mushroom

Plinker, isn't that what ANY bullet is supposed to do....penetrate the heart/lung area and then either exit or be found under the skin?
Your bullet shed it's weight but the base remained intact....it's a lead core/bonded bullet, not an all copper bullet that retains 99% of it's weight.

This is from a Zebra...nearly all of the lead is gone

Attachments

• Zebra.jpg
    Zebra.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 124
Pinker, did any of them break ribs going in? Or off side.
Since I have been a Longbow guy for so long, I am use to being particular about shot placement. Good shooting
Thanks for the info guys

OR.. especially a 129 gr.
That is good to hear about the 129. Give you an idea on how they might compare to a monolithic bullet since most of them are a lighter wait

No experience with ABLR but since you mentioned ELD-X i will give my 2 cents on those.

I have taken or seen moose taken from 25-200 yards with 178 Gr .308 ELDX all neck shots Dropped DRT no bullets recovered.

I have taken a mule deer at 460 yards with 220 GR ELDX .308, heart shot, took 1 step.

Moose at 664 with 220 GR ELDX, through the lungs, bullet recovered on far side hide perfect mushroom, never weighed retained weight, moose tooke one step and rolled.

2 mule does taken at 100 with 143ELDX 6.5 Creedmoor, DRT, one was through both shoulders one was through spine no bullets recovered and devastating wound channels.

I love the ELD-X

Seeing a lot of bullet threads lately. No matter what bullet, even the venerable partition, there is someone invariably
With a story about the bullet " blowing up". Consider this. Unless you are shooting a monolithic bullet designed to retain nearly 100% of it's weight your bullet is going to shed weight and in some instances come apart. The long range Accubond has a thinner jacket so it will still expand at lower velocities encountered at longer ranges. The obvious result of this is that at closer ranges it's going to shed more weight potentially even the lead portion of the bullet. It's very hard to have a bullet perform at high velocity close range and still expand at low velocity. So pick the bullet that best suits your needs and shooting distance. Also a non monolithic bullet is going to lose a portion of it's weight regardless. That is how they are designed. Personally I have had great results with Nosler products and tend to shoot them exclusively. Ballistic
tips, Accubonds and the old partition are some of the best bullets made for hunting. Just pick the one that best suits your needs.

Ok, remember that the long range accubonds are made to expand at 1200 fps(long range hits). So, up close you are going to see some massive damage, which I like.

I shoot the 7mm 175g, 6.5mm 129 and 142g. All kill very well. A barrel will like what it likes, stay flexible and let your barrel talk.

First, there are no perfect bullets. They all have their weaknesses. The issues I have seen with the ABLR and ELDX bullets are at distances under 200 yards but by their name alone its obvious they were designed to perform at long range so remember that. Other than that they both do a very good job when kept in their lane for their caliber.

Also, I have had no problems getting either one to shoot. If you can't get these to shoot well then you should look at your handloading process and figure out what your doing wrong.

Shot my bighorn ram this season at 300yds with a 129 ablr out of my 6.5x47 Lapua. No bullet recovered. Plenty of shrapnel in the wound channel, but nothing crazy. Pinhole in, 1" exit wound. My opinion - they worked great, and they were easy to tune during load development. Had similar performance with the 142 ablr out of a friend's 6.5x284. Nothing "long range" all under 500yds but they seem to work for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.