Acceptable Accuracy For Hog Hunting

This is the mind set of most city folks. The country is lots of worthless stuff and a place to bury nuclear waste, windmill parts, dead bodies, and anything else they don't want in the city. They don't see any value in a tree, corn field, pasture, etc. and will drive across a muddy field making large ruts and think, "wow, that was fun, look what my 4x4 can do."
Sad but very true

In reality, if you're shooting a 12" group at 100 yds and your shooting ability doesn't allow you to hold your aim close to 12", that means the 2 will cancel out 50% of the time and you'll have a 1/2 MOA hit in the kill zone. They compensate for each other. It's a win. Also, missing and wounding an animal allows you to shoot more followup shots and have more fun pulling the trigger. I'm joking, if course.

Last edited:
True Story:

A few weeks/months ago my brother and I were shooting rifles at our local range when a member and his guest showed up. The guest was there to sight in his 300 Win Mag for an out of state hog hunt. He fired a few shots at 50yds then moved his target to 100yds and fired a few more. He cased his rifle, thanked us for our patience and left. I didn't think much about it, as it seemed a normal zero check to me. As I was putting my target stand back in the house I could not help but notice the grouping on his big black circle target. I have never hog hunted, so Ill ask those of you who do. Would you head to the field with this?
Seems like a lot of folks are throwing needles, when we don't really know enough to justify it. No, it is not acceptable (not even close) for me. However, I don't know this gentleman. In point of fact, he may be departing on a hunt at which most shots come at 50 yards or less- in which case he is fine. He may even be one who would limit himself to not taking any longer shot than that. Growing up, there was a man who guided for my dad. He carried nothing on his own antelope hunts but an open sighted lever action .357 magnum, cast bullets, handloaded. 100 yard groups were in the 5" range. However, he knew the rifle, himself and his limits. On numerous occasions I watched him kill running antelope out to 150 yards, and never more than 1 shot. Sometimes we should give the benefit of the doubt.

7.62 x 51 NATO, and lots of it....

A video was included, with a minigun involved. Entitled "Farmer Takes Extreme Measures". It's a riot, and quite applicable to the subject at hand. Enjoy if you look it up.

Someone more interweb savvy than me may be able to post it properly.

Why do people not learn to shoot accurately, it only takes practice.
Because technically shooting and hunting are two different disciplines.

Learning to shoot takes time and money and work. Zeroing a rifle is more work than fun, practicing is more money... lots of people want to hunt but arent interested in shooting sports. Ive seen this often over the years, someone wants to hunt, buys a rifle goes to the range and zeros it and done for life, wither its a 6in group or magically they get 1moa they are done.
When that happens I suggest keeping shots at or under 100yds... some don't like that idea and if they get offended I quietly find other people to hunt with. We owe it to all game to make ethical quick kills.

IMO recoil is just something you get used to. If you're a regular shooter, you learn to ignore recoil. If you shoot a heavy cartridge once or twice a year, it gets your attention.
Not according to Rokslide. If you aren't killing everything with a .223 you're an idiot because you can't shoot magnum rifles well due to recoil. 🙄

Not according to Rokslide. If you aren't killing everything with a .223 you're an idiot because you can't shoot magnum rifles well due to recoil. 🙄

Everyone has an opinion, I guess. But my custom 338RUM shoots every bit as well as my 6.5PRC at 400yds. My .223 does not shoot nearly as well at that distance. I think it's the recoil that's making the big bullets hang together, 😁 🤣 😁

True Story:

A few weeks/months ago my brother and I were shooting rifles at our local range when a member and his guest showed up. The guest was there to sight in his 300 Win Mag for an out of state hog hunt. He fired a few shots at 50yds then moved his target to 100yds and fired a few more. He cased his rifle, thanked us for our patience and left. I didn't think much about it, as it seemed a normal zero check to me. As I was putting my target stand back in the house I could not help but notice the grouping on his big black circle target. I have never hog hunted, so Ill ask those of you who do. Would you head to the field with this?
No. I keep my.22-250 zeroed at 200 yds. and it will put 5 inside a 3" Birchwood Casey Shoot-N-See and 3 inside the 10 ring after 2 fouling shots. I like to shoot hogs in the head, preferably right between the eye and ear. I think your hunter is either flinching from the .300 Win Mag, or will leave a lot of wounded hogs wherever he is going hog hunting. Landowners and hunting lease operators like to see dead hogs, not cripples or misses.

I've seen it at the range many times. A guy shoots a 3" group of 3 shots but it is off to the left. He adjusts his scope to the right and his next group is 6" and a bit to the right. His 3rd group is 12" and all over. It is the weekend before the hunt and he goes home not knowing if his rifle is sighted in correctly. Recoil matters, and at typical hunting ranges, a 7-08 or even a 6.5 will do the job just fine. One reason the 6.5 Creedmore is so popular is that it is easy to shoot well for beginners.

A gunsmith told me a story about a guy who asked him to boresight his rifle. He brought it back the next year to have him do it again because he killed his deer with the first shot.

Everyone is ignorant about something. My friend called me and said he took his scope apart to clean it and broke the reticle. He had no idea about nitrogen filled. It was a Redfield, and he could have gotten it fixed or replaced for free by sending it in.