? about the wind

7mm mag sendero

I have been shooting long range for the past 6 months and by far the big problem i have like many others is where to read the wind????.I know a few gentlemen that read the wind right at the muzzle and have good luck.BUT not me.Can anyone give me any advice on the right way to read the wind I do have a wind meter. thank you for all your time and input:):)

J E Custom

I have been shooting long range for the past 6 months and by far the big problem i have like many others is where to read the wind????.I know a few gentlemen that read the wind right at the muzzle and have good luck.BUT not me.Can anyone give me any advice on the right way to read the wind I do have a wind meter. thank you for all your time and input:):)
The best way that I know is to read the wind all up and down the range or distance between
you and the target.

A good way to practice is to go to the range and before you go down to place your targets
is to look downrange and pick several intermediate distances and guess the wind by looking
at tree leaves, bushes,and grass and write your guesses down. don't use your wind meter
until you get to these distances and then check the wind with the meter and see how well
you did.

When you get back to the fireing line test the wind there and then you can get a good overall
picture of the total wind effect.

You can use a piece of paper and make a work sheet with a strait line down the middle and
right in the wind speed and direction at several points and then armed with this info
try to dope the wind effects on the bullet @ the POI.

It sounds complicated but it's not. what you are doing is training your eye to read the wind
and verfying with the wind meter.

Obviously you can't do this while hunting but you can take a reading at the shooting position
and then read the other signs that you see to the target/game.

I try to find three indicators. shooting position, intermediate and the point of impact. that
will give me a good overall picture of wind effects but more can be used especially if the wind
is from different directions.

If you use a spotting scope you should also learn to read mirage. (Heat waves rising from the
ground up making the target appear somewhere that it isn't).

Just a few pointers and if you do a search on doping/reading the wind you should come with
lots of post.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce