? about bad barrel blank

Wilson is quality. They aren't $300 but I have built plenty of very accurate rifles with them. I can post pics and data if it helps.
As to the setup, I try to avoid 3 points of contact to avoid bending the barrel. I am no expert with using a steady while partially thru the headstock so I am ignorant to it. Let us know what Wilson says.
Will do.

Range Rod, right there is .0015 run out!
Expand on this, please. I have always made my own rods, but a buddy told me to try a PTG range rod. Pilot was snug but the rest of the rod felt like it moved too much. I might be doing something wrong though

Expand on this, please. I have always made my own rods, but a buddy told me to try a PTG range rod. Pilot was snug but the rest of the rod felt like it moved too much. I might be doing something wrong though
How long are you making them and how much runout do you end up with? Have you dialed in a barrel with one of your homemade rods then checked with a long stem indicator in the bore to see how accurate it is?
I'm asking cuz I've considered doing the same thing but the internet might explode if we dont use precision ground rods from the favorite mfr of the day

We are talking tooling that is ground to make specs, we don't get precision tooling at the .0001 level coming of a lathe, you may for a little while but its going to move. I use PTG range rods that are ground and your only going to get about .0015 repeatability, even then you have to been into good bore not in a lapping bell and faced of at crown quality, so the best I've found if I were to use the range rod only was .0015 and it was typically of at the base end not the throat which usually will dial tighter when going back in with a DTI and checking.

So, I've been reading this thread since day one but haven't seen the answer to my question (maybe I missed it?).
How would a person critique a barrel before installing, or in 70Olds' case chambering? I'd rather not spend a bunch of money on a barrel, only to find out when it's too late that it's a dud.

How long are you making them and how much runout do you end up with? Have you dialed in a barrel with one of your homemade rods then checked with a long stem indicator in the bore to see how accurate it is?
I'm asking cuz I've considered doing the same thing but the internet might explode if we dont use precision ground rods from the favorite mfr of the day
I make brass rods about 7" long. Turn them on centers. I check my lathe often with a bar test between centers and also a bar in the 4 jaw alone to test the headstock. I don't have a long stem to test. Made some from drill rod also but prefer to put brass in the barrel

We are talking tooling that is ground to make specs, we don't get precision tooling at the .0001 level coming of a lathe, you may for a little while but its going to move. I use PTG range rods that are ground and your only going to get about .0015 repeatability, even then you have to been into good bore not in a lapping bell and faced of at crown quality, so the best I've found if I were to use the range rod only was .0015 and it was typically of at the base end not the throat which usually will dial tighter when going back in with a DTI and checking.
I understand how they make them but I thought I had read of better tolerances than 1.5 thou. I misread some of your post, so I edited it. My PTG range rods are not as tight fitting as I would like. Pilot is, of course, but rest is probably moving when the indicator needle touches them

Last edited:
No, .0015 is the average repeatability I see with a ground range rod in use, if you dial in to the tenth and remove the rod then reinstall it and it does not repeat to the tenth then you have tolerances that you need to direct read where they came from.

No, .0015 is the average repeatability I see with a ground range rod in use, if you dial in to the tenth and remove the rod then reinstall it and it does not repeat to the tenth then you have tolerances that you need to direct read where they came from.
BG, why do you use a range rod as opposed to pins or long DTI? Speed is the only advantage I see. Again, I am ignorant to the range rods since I've only chambered a couple rifles with them.

BG, why do you use a range rod as opposed to pins or long DTI? Speed is the only advantage I see. Again, I am ignorant to the range rods since I've only chambered a couple rifles with them.
Really just speed and ease of use, one rod per cal and a bushing, I mainly do 5 land barrels and it really soeeds it up, if i did 4 land mostly it would be faster to only use a long reach DTI. I could use pins but prefer the range rods.
I also can ise the Gordy rods and bushings to reach deeper, ive seen excellent repeatability and accuracy with to get to deep throats.

How long are these range rods you speak of? I have a gauge pin set that I tried using to dial off, but ended up scrapping that idea and went back to indicating directly in the bore