A5 question

D.A.T.

my old A5 like was made in 1929,do the gun parts and such inerchange for repairs and such?it was a closet queen and i paid 300.00 it shoots like a dream

D.A.T., I can't say for sure, but most if not all of the major parts I believe were unchanged. Pre war guns were hand fitted though, so a modern part that looks the same might need some hand fitting. Barrels are a good example. I have switched a couple of Belgian A-5 barrels out for the later Japanese screw-in choke barrels. Neither was a slip fit, but both ended up working fine. One gun was a Light Twelve, The other gun a Magnum 12.

I don't know if it's even possible, but never try to put a 3" chamber barrel in a standard receiver for 2 3/4" barrel.

Check online and see if the Browning repair facility at Arnold Missouri is still in business. I think it was Art's Gun Shop. They could give you detailed answers.

I've never had to change a single part in these fine shotguns. Even the springs hold up. They get shorter over the years, but still work.

Good shooting. Tom

Last edited:
Some of the parts are 'hand fit only', even on the newer guns (I'm thinking extractors). Make sure you have a good bronze friction piece, longevity depends on it. Springs are cheap, change 'um out if you think you might need to. Is the recoil spring (the big one that's over the magazine tube) made of round or flat spring stock. If its made of the flat (or square) wire it needs to be changed for use with todays shot shells. Remove the butt stock to find the 'action' spring, it will have wear on the outside from compressing inside its tube. And last but not least, put the steel friction ring in the proper place for the load you're using. Remember, when the friction rings are in the light or standard position the gun is designed to shoot the standard load of the day, 1 1/8 oz. of shot over 3 1/4 dram equivalent powder charge. She may not want to cycle with WalMart shells with a new bronze and springs. Browning still has the owners/operators manual on their web site.

Ted, I say it over and over. There's no substitute for experience. Good info.

I'm going to see if I can find Art's. I'm curious now.

Tom

D.A.T., I plugged in a search for Art's Gun Shop just a few minutes ago. Still in business, has a tel # and fax # too. Has a good article on the salt wood problem as a bonus. I couldn't get the parts page to display on my computer, but I'm lousy on computers anyway. I met this guy years ago at the Astrohall in Houston. Knows Brownings.

Tom

Knowing the A-5 and being able to "maker go again" had a significant impact on my bottom line the first year I was in business. It made it possible to open the doors to see if I could survive year two!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.