Trap Distance Question

Reelamin

Question afer short explanation. I retired and want to improve my shotgun skills. I started shooting some Trap last year, and shoot at two different clubs. Club 1 much more informal and a good time competing. I can shoot at any distance I want to. Club 2 serious by the rule book crowd constantly talking "rules", and if someone might have touched a rule edge. Very serious competing and not a giggle or cough when shooting because there is a rule someplace saying you cannot do and subject to lashings if you do. They wont let me move back until I get an official Handicap.
Club 1 normally shoots at the 16yd line, and those of us who want to move back will shoot at 22yd line. This bunch has a very informal travelling trap where they shoot against other clubs and its 16 and 22yd.
Club 2 Shoots 16yd line, and if you move back YOU MUST MOVE BACK TO THE 23yd line. This club does not participate in the travelling trap because YOU DONT SHOOT AT 22YDS IT MUST BE 23YDS.

Can I get a quick input if the 22 or the 23 is the distance most shooters move back to from the 16. I am NOT going to get a handicap and I shoot at club 1 more often because I can shoot at any distance I want. Skill and technique is much higher at Club 2 and I just get tired of the flippen rules, rules, rules.

Each club will have different rules. General ability at our club for Legues, is your 16 yard average plus 2 is your handicap yardage. When just fun shooting, yes we normally step back to the 22 and call it good, which seems to be the norm at most clubs.

Reads like club 2 is full of d-cks....
absurdly following the 'laws' of skeet...
...be rid of them..shoot with the more tolerant and improve your gun skills...

seems to me the back line I shot was
22yds....but that was 32 years ago...

it all seemed rather boring being you 'know' where the clay is coming from and going to be.....

Wanna get better at overall shooting find a club that has the 'sporting clays'....that was a lot of fun with my 28ga....busting birds a long ways out..crossing patterns..and bouncing rabbits....
fun for all ages and genders.....gets addictive......

The others guys covered it. Club "rules" vary per club. At most clubs in my area, trap shooting for "practice", which is every day that doesn't have a registered "shoot" (like 98% of the shoot days) the score card dictates the shooting distance. If it's a "handicap squad", it'll be written on the score card, "22-yd handicap". Normally some guys will be up to 2 total yards apart...so shooters will be shooting 22-24 yards (or 20-22 yards), 27-yard, etc. They just figure it out on the line. It's just practice, nobody really cares.

As mentioned above, Club #2 can go F#$k themselves...but I bet they wonder why they don't many new members either (or why the shotgun sports are dying on the vine)? (shaking head)