A week of LRS etc

jimisbell

Just returned from a week of range prep and some shooting. Was in West Texas desert near Terlingua with the 338 Lapua and the 50 BMG. Mainly setting up a 1000 yd, 1 mile, 2 mile and 3 mile range as well as zeroing the guns in prep for next visit.

Temps hit 114F in the shade, 1" of rain in a half hour, hail, wind to 50 mph. The sighting will have to be redone in Nov when we go out to shoot thr ranges.
We will have to redo the 2 mile range for several reasons, but mostly elevation.
But we have a good start.

The 50 BMG recoils like a pussycat. That big break really does the job. I could shoot the 50 all day long without any discomfort. That was a pleasant surprise. Less than a 30-06.
The Savage 338 recoils like a .223, very light with the factory muzzle break.
IMG_7151.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations on the practice!

Temps hit 114F in the shade, 1" of rain in a half hour, hail, wind to 50 mph. The sighting will have to be redone in Nov when we go out to shoot thr ranges.

This is some significant weather to accommodate when trying to finesse rifles at those ranges. I experienced this once in southern AZ and I sincerely hope to never see it again. What a nuisance!;)

The 50 BMG recoils like a ***** cat. That big break really does the job. I could shoot the 50 all day long without any discomfort. That was a pleasant surprise. Less than a 30-06.

I was filming Tom Manners at the GAP Grind when he was shooting his .50BMG prone. There was some significant rearward movement with every shot even though he was using the same brake. Tom is not a slight individual but the recoil was visually apparent. :eek:;)

Looking forward to to a more complete report on your next visit!

:)

Congratulations on the practice!

This is some significant weather to accommodate when trying to finesse rifles at those ranges. I experienced this once in southern AZ and I sincerely hope to never see it again. What a nuisance!;)

I was filming Tom Manners at the GAP Grind when he was shooting his .50BMG prone. There was some significant rearward movement with every shot even though he was using the same brake. Tom is not a slight individual but the recoil was visually apparent. :eek:;)

Looking forward to to a more complete report on your next visit!

:)
the recoil is visible....about 1/2".... straight back But it is not uncomfortable if you have it firmly against the shoulder. There is NO muzzle rise at all.