A tough time in Idaho

Since the coyotes showed up in West Virginia ground hogs have disappeared in all the far out meadows and pasture fields. I see some ground hogs, But they are in town lawns and along the highways.
Last time my brother and I hunted the Rogers meadow no groundhogs. Owner said he mowed the meadow and there was no paths or sign of groundhog paths along the river or rough gulley that runs through meadow. At one time farm owners son, My brother and I would kill around 15 groundhogs at the Rogers meadow in an evening.

Since coyotes showed up in WV about 1990, Our deer, turkey and groundhog population had went way down a lot in many areas.

That's right LT. Groundhogs are scarce in WV in the traditional places. They've migrated to towns & even our local football field. THe coaches approached me a few years ago to shoot them. I was reluctant, but went to the mayor, super of the BOE, city chief police, and told them I could do them QUIETLY with my suppressed SSK Ruger MKIII. Got 16 the first year. I couldn't resist this one where I set up at the goal post & dropped him on the goal line.........SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Got permission in another town from all the officials & killed 16 the same year around a public market (after it closed each evening). Cool stuff.
DSC01321.JPG

Since the coyotes showed up in West Virginia ground hogs have disappeared in all the far out meadows and pasture fields. I see some ground hogs, But they are in town lawns and along the highways.
Last time my brother and I hunted the Rogers meadow no groundhogs. Owner said he mowed the meadow and there was no paths or sign of groundhog paths along the river or rough gulley that runs through meadow. At one time farm owners son, My brother and I would kill around 15 groundhogs at the Rogers meadow in an evening.

Since coyotes showed up in WV about 1990, Our deer, turkey and groundhog population had went way down a lot in many areas.

Time to switch over to coyote hunting.

Due to the severe shortage of groundhogs in WV (I've taken 15,400+ with handguns only...don't own a rifle) I've gone the last 6 years to ID to hunt rockchucks. It was fun for five years. Was afraid of the wind and took handguns in 6mmAI, .250 Sav. AI, .357 Mag. at first. Then I tried .223 Contender and .22-250 XP-100, and a suppressed .22 Ruger MKIII. Used 40 gr. BTs in them and found with a little bit of wind reading they worked fine.
Last year in 9 days I took 479. Really looking forward this year, but things changed. The area I hunted had -30* for a week and I'd taken 1350 the last few years.
This year was payback. The chucks were less, wind was worse, and it rained every day for many hours. My total was a measly 247 handgunned chucks, 54 with the suppressed Ruger out to 103 yards.View attachment 470988 That's 1597 for my total ID kill.
BUT....there was a silver lining. Saw my first badger a few minutes after I'd shot several chucks. Running, 120 yards, .22-250 XP-R 100, 40 gr. BT. Dropped. The tiny BT blew up inside. Lots of tissue damage and no exit.
Gonna have to reevaluate a return trip next year. Take a chance or not??
Man that's Awesome

Due to the severe shortage of groundhogs in WV (I've taken 15,400+ with handguns only...don't own a rifle) I've gone the last 6 years to ID to hunt rockchucks. It was fun for five years. Was afraid of the wind and took handguns in 6mmAI, .250 Sav. AI, .357 Mag. at first. Then I tried .223 Contender and .22-250 XP-100, and a suppressed .22 Ruger MKIII. Used 40 gr. BTs in them and found with a little bit of wind reading they worked fine.
Last year in 9 days I took 479. Really looking forward this year, but things changed. The area I hunted had -30* for a week and I'd taken 1350 the last few years.
This year was payback. The chucks were less, wind was worse, and it rained every day for many hours. My total was a measly 247 handgunned chucks, 54 with the suppressed Ruger out to 103 yards.View attachment 470988 That's 1597 for my total ID kill.
BUT....there was a silver lining. Saw my first badger a few minutes after I'd shot several chucks. Running, 120 yards, .22-250 XP-R 100, 40 gr. BT. Dropped. The tiny BT blew up inside. Lots of tissue damage and no exit.
Gonna have to reevaluate a return trip next year. Take a chance or not??
247 is still a good number in my book. Especially using a pistol. And if you don't go there. What other options are on the table ? I am lucky to see more than one or two GHs in a day around my area anymore. Just north of Moronland (Md) US 15. lol Finding farms & orchards to hunt GHs these days are getting even harder. More of a liability type thing these days. And I can't blame them.

M1, I thought about expanding to MD, but your post puts an end to that.
I still have some "secret honey holes" in WV. Got 185 so far this year. (All handguns). Not the best year
.K9, coyotes here are very hard to kill. People are out calling all night. They're so spooked they don't respond. I kill a few each year. Got a cool one last year. On deer permits. Big one came out of the corn. Got him at 176 yds. with my suppressed .300 Whisper. Killed a deer 5 minutes later 50 yds. from him. I kill a fair number of groundhogs while on deer permits with my suppressed Ruger MKIII. Both these guns are quieter than BB guns.

Congratulations WV HM, that's a rather impressive scorecard you've got there.

When the PA farms had a sizable population of groundhogs, I'd shoot 8-12 in a day. I'd walk several farms, over the course of a few miles, so it was never easy. But once in a while every thing would go my way. I shot these hogs with a 22-243AI. Most were shot between 400yds and 600yds along various treelines.

23 Groundhogs.jpg

M1, I thought about expanding to MD, but your post puts an end to that.
I still have some "secret honey holes" in WV. Got 185 so far this year. (All handguns). Not the best year
.K9, coyotes here are very hard to kill. People are out calling all night. They're so spooked they don't respond. I kill a few each year. Got a cool one last year. On deer permits. Big one came out of the corn. Got him at 176 yds. with my suppressed .300 Whisper. Killed a deer 5 minutes later 50 yds. from him. I kill a fair number of groundhogs while on deer permits with my suppressed Ruger MKIII. Both these guns are quieter than BB guns.
You may get fortunate & find a place in Md. I know there are a few on here that do well on GHs in Md. It's just hard to find a good place & get permission. There are still a few old timers out there that like to see them shot. And may let you hunt their farms. Maybe a early breakfast at a local diner, close to where you would like to hunt may pay off for you.
I believe one of the rimfire threads had a fella hunting in the Boonsboro area. He seemed to be doing pretty good around there. But he also stated the GHs were not as abundant as before. I think the eagles & other predators are putting a hurting on them. The bald eagle population is growing pretty good these days.