A tough time in Idaho

WV Hitman

Due to the severe shortage of groundhogs in WV (I've taken 15,400+ with handguns only...don't own a rifle) I've gone the last 6 years to ID to hunt rockchucks. It was fun for five years. Was afraid of the wind and took handguns in 6mmAI, .250 Sav. AI, .357 Mag. at first. Then I tried .223 Contender and .22-250 XP-100, and a suppressed .22 Ruger MKIII. Used 40 gr. BTs in them and found with a little bit of wind reading they worked fine.
Last year in 9 days I took 479. Really looking forward this year, but things changed. The area I hunted had -30* for a week and I'd taken 1350 the last few years.
This year was payback. The chucks were less, wind was worse, and it rained every day for many hours. My total was a measly 247 handgunned chucks, 54 with the suppressed Ruger out to 103 yards.
DSC01623.JPG
That's 1597 for my total ID kill.
BUT....there was a silver lining. Saw my first badger a few minutes after I'd shot several chucks. Running, 120 yards, .22-250 XP-R 100, 40 gr. BT. Dropped. The tiny BT blew up inside. Lots of tissue damage and no exit.
Gonna have to reevaluate a return trip next year. Take a chance or not??

Hitman,
you are my hero.

No irony, not smart subtext, no snide remark.

Seriously.
Your achievements in hunting pests are legendary. LEGENDARY.

And with handguns!! My goodness, how cool is that?!?

I say it again:
You are my hero.

Please, carry on.
And share your exploits.
It's awesome to read of such feats. 15,400.... 🤩

Matthias, from the deserts of Peru 😊

When i went to line school in meridian i was out shooting digger squirrels. I was driving a long and saw a badger running about 200 yards out. I took off driving straight at him. About 100 yards from him hes running away he turned around and squared off with my 77 chevy. They are mean suckers. Anyway 223 won but still thought it was cool not scared of big *** truck.

wvbearhunter, there are still groundhogs in WV. In my good years I did 500+, best year 634. I still have some honey holes left. Got 179 before I went to ID.
MtPockets, to each his own. Farmers contact me wanting get rid of groundhogs & deer eating their crops. I've been doing that since 1976. Don't feel guilty a bit. All the deer go to elderly, needy, friends, & family.

wvbearhunter, there are still groundhogs in WV. In my good years I did 500+, best year 634. I still have some honey holes left. Got 179 before I went to ID.
MtPockets, to each his own. Farmers contact me wanting get rid of groundhogs & deer eating their crops. I've been doing that since 1976. Don't feel guilty a bit. All the deer go to elderly, needy, friends, & family.
My comment was totally tongue in cheek, but I realize that didnt come across.
Sorry.
I say knock your socks off! Im envious!

My comment was totally tongue in cheek, but I realize that didnt come across.
Sorry.
I say knock your socks off! Im envious!

MtPockets,

I did get your humor! — I come from a country were that would definitely happen: Ousted, for ousting pests. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Some snowflakes become
violent toward humans when opposing
"violence" against animals. ➔ ?!?
Makes me wonder if they forgot that God created the human being to reign over the animals, not vice versa.... 🤷‍♂️

🟠 Just like there is PETA, there should exist a balancing organization: One that honors pest eliminators, highlights their achievements, and maybe confers a Nobel Pesting Prize or something of that nature.
I nominate WV Hitman for the 2023 Nobel Pesting Prize. 👍🏼

Matthias

Seems the rockchuck population near the zoo in pocatello is disbanding....seeing them allover the area now....I think the one I ran over on my bicycle finally figured out where I reside....as it's under the shipping container...eyeballing me as I get to the door to get tools....
I may need to pull out the 22lr and a quiet pellet and await his feeding time.....then pop him in the head....

Due to the severe shortage of groundhogs in WV (I've taken 15,400+ with handguns only...don't own a rifle) I've gone the last 6 years to ID to hunt rockchucks. It was fun for five years. Was afraid of the wind and took handguns in 6mmAI, .250 Sav. AI, .357 Mag. at first. Then I tried .223 Contender and .22-250 XP-100, and a suppressed .22 Ruger MKIII. Used 40 gr. BTs in them and found with a little bit of wind reading they worked fine.
Last year in 9 days I took 479. Really looking forward this year, but things changed. The area I hunted had -30* for a week and I'd taken 1350 the last few years.
This year was payback. The chucks were less, wind was worse, and it rained every day for many hours. My total was a measly 247 handgunned chucks, 54 with the suppressed Ruger out to 103 yards.View attachment 470988 That's 1597 for my total ID kill.
BUT....there was a silver lining. Saw my first badger a few minutes after I'd shot several chucks. Running, 120 yards, .22-250 XP-R 100, 40 gr. BT. Dropped. The tiny BT blew up inside. Lots of tissue damage and no exit.
Gonna have to reevaluate a return trip next year. Take a chance or not??
Private or public shooting, looks like a trip I should make, great country and mighty fine shooting.