A question for IMR7828 users

JayR

I bought a pound of IMR 7828 to try in my STW. I hunt and shoot in temperatures from 85 down the teens, how temperature sensitive is 7828? Thank you

I have had great luck using imr7828 with 150 grn pills in my 7rm. But, I have to admit that I do find on warm days my groups do open up. By warm days I mean 70+ dec.
For the summer months I like to use rl22 with 175 grn pills

The temperature variation on IMR7828 is documented somewhere.

In general we don't shoot when the temperature is high.

I use IMR 7828 with 160 gr AB. I haven't seen any noticeable increase in mv readings from my chrono up to 65-70 degrees. My 7mm rem mag really likes this load.
I am planning on using this powder to work up a load using 168 grain ABLR bullets once deer season is over here in La.

JR, from researching a powder when my .257 Wby was new 7828SSC was the powder of choice. I wound up with sub MOA at 200, but on a deer hunt with early temps in the 20's I noticed a good variation. I now use H1000 and get a consistent sub 1\2 MOA at 200. Have no experience with the 7STW, but it's possibly the same result. Had the same variation with a couple of RL powders also. Just my experience. Good luck

I've always had success for belted magnums with 7828. Perhaps it's time to give H1000 a try there.

I swapped from H1000 to 7828 SSC in everything, because when it was above 70 degrees H1000 loads were causing groups to open up.

But I also try not to go shooting when it's above 75 outside either. Most of my rifles are for hunting, so I load develop during the winter to know how my loads are gonna react while in the woods.

I worked up my 6.5x284 with 7828ssc this summer out west where it was 80-100 degrees, sometimes even too hot as the mirage was ridiculous. I have yet to shoot it in cold weather....if we ever get some. It was 84 here on Thanksgiving day.
This was shot on an 80 degree day at 600 yards, 5th shot was out left as I wasn't watching the wind.

I worked up my 6.5x284 with 7828ssc this summer out west where it was 80-100 degrees, sometimes even too hot as the mirage was ridiculous. I have yet to shoot it in cold weather....if we ever get some. It was 84 here on Thanksgiving day.
This was shot on an 80 degree day at 600 yards, 5th shot was out left as I wasn't watching the wind.
:) Man, that really stinks. (laugh) You'd better start from scratch with unique pistol powder. it will open those groups right up........

Good shootin dude.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.