Question for AMP users

Bigeclipse

I ordered an AMP gen 2 annealer and have a couple questions I should have asked prior to ordering. From what I have read and seen in video is you sacrifice a case to determine the appropriate number for annealing that brand/caliber? If so, that could make things challenging as I have mixed lots of brass. I definitely separate out by brand and number of firings but I have not kept track of what pieces of brass were with what batch/lot of brass when purchased. Second question is, what if case necks are not trimmed identical? Will this impact the annealing from case to case? The reason I ask is I do try and keep things equal but occasionally one piece might get trimmed a little too much and so I will use that case for other purposes such as fouling shots or plinking rounds. Thanks!

Sort your brass by headstamp, then sort by weight by 2 gr. +/- so you get consistent annealing.

Once your sorts are made, you'll have to sacrifice a case from each sort using the Aztec mode. Then keep them sorted thru their life.

It's far simpler to start with new batches of quality brass prepped and sorted in consistent lots. Control of each lot thru its life takes a bit of time, but is well worth it.

Deprime and clean brass prior to annealing. Then resize, trim and chamfer.
Load, shoot and repeat.

I've had no problem with normal difference in neck length. Aztec gives you accurate annealing if you keep your lots segregated.

Last edited:
Sort your brass by headstamp, then sort by weight by 2 gr. +/- so you get consistent annealing.

Once your sorts are made, you'll have to sacrifice a case from each sort using the Aztec mode. Then keep them sorted thru their life.

It's far simpler to start with new batches of quality brass prepped and sorted in consistent lots. Control of each lot thru its life takes a bit of time, but is well worth it.

Deprime and clean brass prior to annealing. Then resize, trim and chamfer.
Load, shoot and repeat.

I've had no problem with normal difference in neck length. Aztec gives you accurate annealing if you keep your lots segregated.
I have already weight sorted my brass for my 28 nosler but none of them were +-2 full grains. They were all within plus or minus a grain of each other. So you think one sacrifice for the lot would be ok?

Yes, 2 grains will usually work, so 1 grain sort will be better.

I just sorted 200 pieces of Norma brass for my 264wm. I only had 1.8 gr difference. I'll sacrifice a case on the middle weight and call it good.

Last edited:
I basicallly use the same proccess as dok7mm except for how I select my sacrificial case. I measure several neck wall thicknesses within a sort using a tube micrometer. I then select a case based on its measurements which represents the overall average of that sort. Not sure if this method is better, just how i do it.

My AMP is the original version and I haven't bought the Aztec upgrade yet. What I have read about the MkII model with built in Aztec is you can still choose and use Standard Mode.
If that is correct and say you have 20 cases of different make and you don't want to sacrifice one you can look at their list of cases and use the appropriate setting for that make and cartridge, e.g. RWS 308.

This depends on how much your running. I got a gen 2 and ran through some mixed 223. I picked a middle code. then 200 rounds done started to trim on my giraud... had some cases that were overannealed and the case mouth spread out or chipped wedging the case in my giraud case holder......

initial thought was dont anneal. After some research I decided to do multiple tests and stay with the lowest number. That will keep stuff from crapping out and will be better than nothing on the others

This depends on how much your running. I got a gen 2 and ran through some mixed 223. I picked a middle code. then 200 rounds done started to trim on my giraud... had some cases that were overannealed and the case mouth spread out or chipped wedging the case in my giraud case holder......

initial thought was dont anneal. After some research I decided to do multiple tests and stay with the lowest number. That will keep stuff from crapping out and will be better than nothing on the others
How could you tell a case was overannealed?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.