a question for everyone with a gun

Everything you do or say online or on a cell phone is being recorded, not necessarily analyzed or listened to real time but recorded.

This^^^

Everything you put on the internet is out there for posterity, it's never going away so be prepared for it to pop up 20 years down the line. Don't put anything online that you don't want to defend sometimes in the future. That's the reason I'm not big on posting pictures of myself, my family, or other personal pictures that could link back to us. I don't do facebook, too much of a chance of being misused. Data collection is immense nowadays, the limit is analyzing that data. It might not trip any triggers or get looked at by a human, but rest assured it's stored. You think NICS data isn't stored? Congress already went down that road several years ago when it came out that the justice department under Janet Reno was keeping data indefinitely in violation of the law. I can pretty much guarantee you that Holder has done the same since it's a fox guarding the henhouse situation, there's no reason for him not to even though it's technically illegal. Illegal doesn't mean much when you're the one interpreting the laws.

It's not just the government either, big corporations make a lot of use of data collection and online spying. My own company has used internet data mined from facebook and chat forums like this in employee firing and other disciplinary actions over the last few years. In one case where they fired an employee the company lawyers showed up with copies of his wife's facebook posts to prove their positions. In another case there was a forum just like this one that employees frequented and used to vent their frustrations with the company. The company lawyers met with union officers and pulled out pages of negative posts they had printed, then they went down a list identifying each poster by his username and stated what the employee's real name was then demanded the union shut them up or they'd take disciplinary action.

If you think you're anonymous with anything you post on the internet, you're wrong.

It's not the government's monitoring of sites like this that worries me.

It's the highly sophisticated criminal element out there developing malware, even artificially intelligent malware, that I think is a more immediate concern for most of us. These guys don't want to know how far LR shooters can shoot, they want our passwords.

How many on here use the same password for multiple sites? How easy are you making it for identity thieves?

My credit card has been hacked twice from breaches in the security of someone I did business with. It didn't cost me anything, but all of us pay more because the cost of doing business goes up each time that happens. A small business I work with is constantly being hacked which forces costly upgrades to counter a new type of attack.

It's not just what you post on the 'net that's dangerous, but how well you protect your access too.

Jack

I was shopping for bulk ammo online and my lab top web cam snapped a pic of me and posted it at the bottom of my screen, then it posted that someone has snapped this pic of me and was trying to hack my computer.

I wonder who that was...

Probably some Chinese kid. probably had nothing to do with bulk ammo. doesn't matter how much ammo you have, a tank will blow your house and bunker up.

Another thing. though I am sure this site is monitored, so if I write something like, "I'm going to kill the president of the united states", I might have some guys dressed in black suits with sunglasses come to my door even though I have absolutely no intention of doing so. I don't think the secret service is in the business of playing stupid little games with average Joe s like you and me. I think they are trying to keep the real bad guys out of the white house and form other really serious threats.

Having said that, I tend to be more of the thinking that if I am being watched and my information is being monitored, that's fine because I really don't have anything to hide.

I have had my credit cards compromised several times and I have never had to pay the bogus charges, I don't have life lock, etc. but then I live in Rural Kansas so maybe things are different in the city.

Another thing. though I am sure this site is monitored, so if I write something like, "I'm going to kill the president of the united states", I might have some guys dressed in black suits with sunglasses come to my door even though I have absolutely no intention of doing so. I don't think the secret service is in the business of playing stupid little games with average Joe s like you and me. I think they are trying to keep the real bad guys out of the white house and form other really serious threats.

Having said that, I tend to be more of the thinking that if I am being watched and my information is being monitored, that's fine because I really don't have anything to hide.

I have had my credit cards compromised several times and I have never had to pay the bogus charges, I don't have life lock, etc. but then I live in Rural Kansas so maybe things are different in the city.

I think they're to late, there's already a real bad guy residing in the White House.

Probably some Chinese kid. probably had nothing to do with bulk ammo. doesn't matter how much ammo you have, a tank will blow your house and bunker up.

If and when it comes time for Marshall law or mass disarmament they will push enter and a hole database will load with people they want to hit first. They don't have to employ a full time person to do this. They get a computer programmer to set up a program and it picks up on key words and stores it till needed, its been proven over and over. Cyber spying is here. They may or may not be able to use the data against me but they now know what I look like and if I'm hoarding ammo and food. And in a Marshall law situation it can be confiscated..

If and when it comes time for Marshall law or mass disarmament they will push enter and a hole database will load with people they want to hit first. They don't have to employ a full time person to do this. They get a computer programmer to set up a program and it picks up on key words and stores it till needed, its been proven over and over. Cyber spying is here. They may or may not be able to use the data against me but they now know what I look like and if I'm hoarding ammo and food. And in a Marshall law situation it can be confiscated..

When you say, "use that against you", what do you mean? and then ultimately, what will you do about it and what are the results of that?

basically, if the end of the world comes, preparing only gets you by for as long as your supplies last or until they get to your house.

Funny thing is, in war, the common people are let alone. its people with money and political power and influence that are dispatched. so if you are a common person, even if you own a gun, you will probable be left alone after they take your guns.

if you don't let them take your guns, you might get a few of them, but they will get you. better to be alive and gunless to help your family, then dead and then be gunless.

When you say, "use that against you", what do you mean? and then ultimately, what will you do about it and what are the results of that?

basically, if the end of the world comes, preparing only gets you by for as long as your supplies last or until they get to your house.

Funny thing is, in war, the common people are let alone. its people with money and political power and influence that are dispatched. so if you are a common person, even if you own a gun, you will probable be left alone after they take your guns.

if you don't let them take your guns, you might get a few of them, but they will get you. better to be alive and gunless to help your family, then dead and then be gunless.

All I'm going to say about this subject is..
I'm a PATRIOT and believe in the Constitution and if they keep trying to shred it then the second amendment is the first to go and I'm going to fight for the greater good.. and if there is a natural disaster I promise the looters are not getting any thing from me till I'm out of ammo and arrows..

Your wasting your time trying to convince me otherwise.
I'm stubborn on my beliefs..
Better safe than sorry is how I live..

I'm a PATRIOT and believe in the Constitution and if they keep trying to shred it then the second amendment is the first to go and I'm going to fight for the greater good.. and if there is a natural disaster I promise the looters are not getting any thing from me till I'm out of ammo and arrows..
Hear hear..

Ya **** Skippy, Molon Labe! One man protecting what's his is worth any 10 trying to take it.

Brewer thank God our forefathers didn't care for their own skin as much as you do or we'd still be toasting the Queen before dinner. My guess is you have never in your life been to a third world hole where the average man would love to have the freedoms you apparently take for granted.

You will be left alone if you just make nice and comply? For the sake of my children's generation I urge you to read some history and really test your assertion against the stark and disturbing facts of the twentieth century. Im not being sarcastic here, I would seriously ask you to reconsider.

Principle matters and is worth dying for if we are to have the rule of law. Everyman must decide for himself when enough is enough and it is time to quit trying to hold government accountable within the system, and begin forcing accountability to the law by other means. Honest men can disagree on how bad things need to get before we must allow our fervent desire to live in peace to take a backseat to our demand for government to respect our God given liberties and follow the limits set down for it in the Constitution. I won't debate where that line exists, as two good Patriots can and will disagree on that.

What is not up for debate is that the line must exist somewhere or freedom is already lost or soon will be. A citizen who will not eventually use whatever means is necessary, including force, to uphold the rule of law is not a citizen at all. They are more properly called a subject or serf of the government official who IS willing to use force. If a man's freedom depends on the SELF RESTRAINT of any government, then that is no different at all than depending on the benevolence of a king. Though the man might enjoy peace for a time it will be fleeting, and his "rights" aren't rights at all, they are priveleges, subject to the continued benevolence of that king. Or dictator. Or dear leader. Or any other name given to men who rule by their own desires rather than rule of LAW.

We here in America have had the luxury of not contemplating these things for a long time, thank God. That said, we should make no mistake; this is a well trodden path and history is replete with examples of the sad fates of individuals and entire peoples whose futures were dependent on the kindness of kings and benevolence of government officials because they were unwilling to resist.

A man who would be free will decide where that line is, and stick to it whatever the cost. He may not win. In fact if he is first he will most certainly lose, and lose big. The signers of the Declaration of Independence endured tremendous personal loss that they never recouped. So have men in wars since who have defended our way of life at great, even crushing, personal loss.

These men, willing to risk everything for mere principle, are named Patriots. We cannot return to them what they have lost. We can only honor them by taking up their cause when liberty is again under threat, and ensure their sacrifice was not in vain by doing what they did, holding nothing back, and risking....everything.

Some closing thoughts by some principled men:

"The truth is, all might be free if they valued freedom, and defended it as they ought."

""If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."

-Samuel Adams

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
- John Stuart Mill

And a warning from a man who made a mistake that put him and his people in the Gulag, and one of the saddest regrets in history:
"And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward."
-Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.