A Question for all Hunters

Umzingeli

Morning folks.

I'm new to this board, as you can tell,
and I wonder if you'd all be willing to answer a question for me? If I've posted this in an inappropriate place, I apologise, and trust one of the Moderators will move it.

Basically, I'd like to know what YOU, as a hunter,
expect from the Owners or Operators of a
Hunting Destination.

What is it that makes the difference between a Dream destination,
and a Nightmare one?

Please mention ANYTHING that you feel is relevant,
whether it's the service, the food, the game or the personality of the PH.

I'm interested in every aspect of your expectations for a great hunting
experience.

Thanks in advance for your input, it'll be much appreciated.

Be Safe,
and Good Hunting
--Umzingeli

Okay, I'll try first.

I have several expectations.

1. I expect to be treated as a person of worth and as if I have some understanding of hunting and shooting.

2. I expect to be met on time and taken/placed on time and picked up on time.

3. I DO NOT expect to be paraded around on an imaginary leash during non-peak hunting hours as if I were a dog just to make it appear that we're hunting and I'm getting my monies worth.

4. I expect that if the outfitter does not believe something I say, shooting ability, hunting experience, etc. that the issue(s) be discussed and tested if need be. I do NOT expect to be put off and/or dismissed.

5. I expect the outfitter to be truthful with me, if it's slow say so.

6. I expect the "guide" to have some experience and not mearly a warm body.

7. I expect the guide/outfitter to have at least as much experience as I do. I do NOT intend to train my guide as a full time job.

8. I expect things to be planned so that there is no last minute rush to make connections.

9. I expect to be able to read about local game and other pertinant laws.

10. I really don't care what the last fella shot.

11. I don't like to hunt in someone elses trash. If the last fella to use a blind was a slob, pick the junk up before putting the new hunter there.

12. I like to have an understanding of local customs/beliefs/norms so that when I meet folks I don't appear to be an inconsiderate idiot. (A regular idiot is fine but inconsiderate is not good
smile.gif
)

13. I do NOT want to be around when there is a disagreement between hunting staff. If you're gonna chew the helps ***, do so away from me.

14. I expect to be treated as a normal local visitng friend/person, food, accomodations etc. I don't care to be treated as royalty or someone far above the regular folks.

15. I guess what I'm saying is I expect to be treated with respect and dignity, not as a cash cow.

16. I expect to follow the guides rules.

Enough for now I guess.

Hope this helps/informs

Thanks for the Input Admin Dave
smile.gif

This is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for.

Please don't anybody else hesitate to add ANY considerations that they may have. It's all gratefully accepted. Hopefully, one day soon, this info will go a long way to improving Hunting for us all.

Many thanks,
Keep it up,
and Shoot Straight.
Regards
--Umzingeli

WOW Dave
shocked.gif

It would be hard to beat your list of expectations. So many of them we take for granted that I wouldn't have thought to mention them. It is good that you did.

My list only includes a few additional thoughts:

1. On an outfitted hunt I expect that my outfitter/guide is experienced and has been doing his homework all year long. I am paying him to KNOW when & where game animals are likely to be. I have a reasonable expectation to see game. That doesn't guarantee me anything, but his knowledge of the local game animals is the primary reason that I would use an outfitter rather than just going it alone.

2. The social ammenities are important. Hunting isn't about killing, it is about the whole experience of the hunt. If the food is lousey, accomodations are inadequate, or other things make me uncomfortable during my hunting trip than just making a kill will not provide for an enjoyable experience. A less than enjoyable hunting experience will not result in repeat business or referrals to friends.

Just my 2 cents

VH

I think Dave covered this one. But to be sure you are getting just that as varmint hunter said repeat business or referrals are important. I used a booking agent for a South Africa trip. I trusted this person as a friend and hunter. He would not send someone to a place he has not hunted for himself. And not being the land owner he would send you to the place that best fits your needs. Talk to your guide or PH about your expectations and do your research. I nearly learned the hard way, my trip was booked for Zimbabwe during the land "invasions" The land owners idea of safe didn't meet my definition!!!

Yeah, I hear that previous post!

I'm not comfortable being a dude hunter, and I understand that they don't (and can't) completely trust the client handling guns.

I'll share what I think is a humorous story of my African experience.

We had a series of negotiations, what game I was interested in, the level of activity, etceteras. He inquired about special dietary needs and preferences. That seemed to be a obvious question, and I admit that I didn't give it the thought I should have given it.

I mentioned that I don't usually take the time for breakfast, but when I do, primarily on weekends, I like a traditional breakfast of bacon and eggs, and I appreciate a morning cup of coffee, regardless of how we might be roughing it. Other than that, I told him that I liked steak, and fruit and juices, and an occasional beer, at sunset, of course.

Well, I had all those things. He watched me fix my coffee the first morning, and thereafter, was standing there holding the cup out to me, fixed as I like it. I had bacon and eggs every single morning, to the point where it was laughable, but I didn't say anything. Steak? Yeah, every night, also amusing, but, my own fault, of course.

So, I don't know what the moral of the story might be? I can't complain about the monotony, since it was all my PH had to go on. Lucky for me that I like those items very much and it wasn't such a hardship.

But, I'm amused, every time I think about it. LB

edit: what I found interesting is the way Americans are perceived, in Africa. They tend to clasify Spanish a certain way, Germans want strange trophys, and Americans are technically knowledgeable, and don't need catering nearly as much as some others.

[ 08-05-2004: Message edited by: LB ]

A lot of great expectations listed. The main expectation I have of a package hunt is that there are no hidden costs! Everything should be completely understood and agreed upon up front. I have not had any bad experiences, but know some folks; who have.
Tell them exactly what you expect ... It's your money that's being spent!

Good one Nighthunter.

It is nice to know what a hunt will cost, soup to nuts, before jumping into a deal. Hidded costs or things that your outfitter forgot to mention (and you didn't think to ask) are sure to sour the deal.

VH

Apart from the obvious that I would expect to be within an area reasonably well inhabited by the target species there are a couple of other items as well I will mention.
1. Equipment in good condition and well maintained especially vehicles [eg plenty of spare tyres in Africa]
2.Cold beer and hot shower in that order and again these requirements are for Africa specifically.
I have hunted in Africa 6 times over a period of 20 years with PH and unguided with friends. Apart from the politics which have driven most of my friends from their homes I have been fortunate not to have had a bad experience there. My regret is that for me it is most likely not to be repeated due to the politics and cost now.

Umzingali - what part of RSA are you from?
I am guessing you are either in the guiding business there or starting?

[ 08-05-2004: Message edited by: aussie powder burner ]

I have never been on a guided hunt but Dave in Idaho recently told me a story of a hunter that was on a guided hunt for Alaskan brown. Well to make a long story short the guide shot a rushing bear before the client did and then told the client to tag the bear. The client didn't even fire his gun. This caused all manner of problems from the chient feeling very cheated to everyone accusing each other of breaking this and that law.

I would expect that a guide service have either a firm policy regarding protection of the clients life or to reach a VERY clear understanding based on the hunters knoledge, skill and comfort level AND the guides skill, experience and liability. Based of course on the ferocity of the intended game.

Guys, is this way off? Like I said I haven't been on a guided hunt.(Yet)

Thanks all--
This input is just what I need.

Please don't stop now.
wink.gif
If you have any thoughts on this topic jump in and add them.
All comments seriously considered.

Aussie--
I'm from Johannesburg, but I'm not personally into the guiding business. I'm working for a guy who was a PH, and is truly passionate about the sport. He is looking at setting up an association and facilities which will not only allow the hunter to be able to select exactly what he wants in terms of all aspects of a hunting experience, but will also provide them with recourse, should anything not be as advertised etc.

All of your contributions will help make sure that he thinks of every aspect of the hunters expectations, to ensure that there is as little chance as possible for things to go wrong, or be misunderstood.

So for all our sakes, mention anything you can think of.

Thanks again,
and Be Safe
--Umzingeli

Morning all.

Just wanted to say thanks again, and *bump* this thread. All comments are really helpful, and I'd like as many as possible.

Many thanks
--Umzingeli

I also have not been on a guided hunt, but here are a few things (in addidtion to the other items listed by everyone else).

1. Access to a firing range that is at least 100 yards. After flying several thousand miles, I would want to make sure my firearm is still on target.

2. To meet with the guide before heading out into the field so he/she could explain the plan of attack, the lay of the land, and any other thing that may be pertinent to the hunt and the safety of everyone involved.

3. The guide should also explain the size or age of animal that we are seeking, ie number of points, length of antlers/horns, etc - so both of us are on the same page.

4. Definately no hidden costs!

5. The guides should be well versed in back county first aid and survival - to be prepared to use it and have the supplies available to do so (not saying that I'm accident prone or anything!
shocked.gif
).

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.